Lesco Z Tow Motor Blew 2002

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lightning01svt, Jul 7, 2003.

1. lightning01svt

lightning01svt LawnSite Member

I was cutting last Thursday, and noticed an abnormal vibration from the mower. I got off and inspected the mower. Tried to start it back up, and I noticed it did not sound right at all. I checked the for oil. It showed no oil on the stick. Where did all the oil go? I check it all the time, and have not noticed any oil issues. I put it on the trailer and added a quater of oil. I started it again, and notice oil comming from the from of the motor, and dripping from the bottom.

Has anyone had this problem with a new Lesco Z two?

Thanks for the help.

2. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Kawasaki???

3. quikag

quikag LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I've noticed mine showing less and less oil each time I check it. I guess it might be burning oil which kinda pisses me off since it only has 130 hours on it. Let me know what you find out. Good Luck!!!

4. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

My brother mentioned to me to keep checking the oil on the Z two. We just got it a few weeks ago.

5. That's the only motor option....

6. lightning01svt

LAWNGODFATHER

Yes it is a Kawasaki motor, 23 horse. I do not know what code it is. Where will it be located? Thanks.

quikag

I kinda thought I was seeing a little oil being burnt/lost before this happened, and I thought I was loosing power as well. I noticed the mower had a bad vibration in it for the past couple of days, but I was hoping it was an out of balanced blade or something. It did not feel like the vibration was comming for the motor. It felt like it was comming from the deck. My mower had 134hrs. on it before it went.

I went by the dealer this afternoon before going to the house. Surprisingly, he thought he may have had the mower fixed. He went on to tell me that a gasket/rubber ring on top the piston area started to melt. He said once this happened that the oil could come out. He asked if I would wait and call him back before the closed 2 hours later to make sure it was not leaking. I almost for got to call, but I caught someone their before they closed. The mechanic had already left, but left word that the motor was still leaking. I will not know anything more until the morning. I will let you know what I find out. Thanks for the help.

7. quikag

quikag LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I've kind of noticed mine losing power as well. Is there something I can check to see if this is true? Compression?? Also where specifically should I look to see if it is leaking oil. Mine is the 25HP Kawasaki. Thanks for any help.

8. lightning01svt

I did not notice any leaking before it blew the gasket. Once the gasket blew, it was leaking from the top front of the motor. This would be the side nearest the seat. I would suggest you take your mower into your dealer and let them do a once over to see if they cand find out anything. At least this way it is on record, and it will be a planed down time. Hope this helps some.

9. lightning01svt

Dropped the mower back off this morning. It was missing a quart of oil, and smoking heavily. They charged me 2 hours of labor last time, 2 quarts of oil, and for the burnt seal on top the piston. Talking bout an unhappy camper! Just did not understand how I am suppose to be checking the oil as i cut. Anyways! I am working on seeing what is going to be done this time.

10. Engine has a 2 year warrenty, why are you paying for it?

Check oil before you load it up on trailer in the AM.