1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by drsogr, Apr 6, 2006.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys...I am pretty new to the fertilizer ring. Actually I am really not in it...just learning about it. I used lesco dimension 19-0-6 0.10% and now I have dandelions coming up. I talked to lesco and they said that it only prevents crabgrass...not broadleafs. He told me he knew of nothing that took care of both.

I am only using granular since I don't have the equipment to spray my yard. Is there anything you guys would recommend?

What am I doing wrong? When most companines spray they prevent crabgrass and broadleafs..what am I doing wrong?
  2. Tim Johnson

Tim Johnson LawnSite Member

Lesco sells a weed and feed that will take care of that. Just buy a hand held sprayer and you will save alot of headaches fighting weeds.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

WEED AND FEED,will not kill broadleaf.
  4. drsogr

I want something that will kill everything. I shouldn't have two put down 2 different products in the spring to kill crabgrass and keep out the dandelions. I bought 3 way to spot treat the ones that came out...I just want something to prevent them.
  5. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

Dandelions are perennial. Not annual like crabgrass. With crab you kill the seed and no weed. With dandelions the weeds are already there. Kill 'em when the come up.
  6. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

you are treating for crabgrass with a pre-emergent weed control, to control the dandelion's you need a post-emergent. there is nothing I know of that will control both. what I suggest is spraying a 3way broad leaf weed control with a back pack sprayer
  7. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually that is exactly what you need to do.
  8. drsogr

So is there a product that I can go over the whole yard with? Can 3 way be sprayed on everything?

Is there a granular that will work?
  9. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

I use a BP sprayer with Momentum FX. Its tedious work but it gets the job done.
  10. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

What type turf do you have. Don't spray 3 way on st augustine or centipede. Lesco's Momentum weed and feed will control a broad spectrum of broadleaf weeds. Be sure the grass is wet if you apply. Personally, I'd rather use a liquid post-emergent. But you need to match the turf with the herbicide or you can do serious damage.