Lesco

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tharrell, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

So,.....Lesco's website sorta sux right now. I used to be able to get pdf manuals but it's pretty much gone now. Looks like they've abandoned all the equipment they don't currently sell. Just one more reason I can't stand jd.
    I was in the local jd dealer the other day because they sell Echo parts and looked at the sole Scag they had, a diesel turf tiger. The owner acted like he did 6 years ago when I was just starting out. If I wasn't really big time or spending $250k on a combine he didn't have much interest in my needs. He started spouting off about the jd mowers and I took about all of it I could stand. I asked him why I didn't see any commercial guys around the area using his stuff? I'll stick to my Bob-Cats and Scag, head and shoulders over his stuff in my opinion.
    All he needs is some banjo pickin and he'd feel right at home. As long as you're spending $250k on a combine!!!
    I'd buy ANYTHING BUT a jd if I was in the market for a tractor and I'm sure not buying any of their mowers.
    So,.............what's the deal with Lesco? ha ha ha

2. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

So he is acting like our local JD dealer. I thought we had the only bad one.

3. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, I'm worried about JD taking over Lesco too. I liked my Lesco reps, but I'm afraid they may not be able to do much for me if JD wants to change how they do business.

4. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

I think we're going to see that industry 'elitist' attitude that encompasses Deere spill over in to Lesco's doctrine as well, and sooner than you may think.

Lesco REALLY tried to become a global force about a decade ago when they finally left the 'mansion' they called their Rocky River headquarters.
    Every move they made from that point on was directed at becoming a world player, not just a national player, in everything about the green industry. Lesco's downfall, and the real reason that led to their decline and eventual stock buyout, was that they never really nurtured their people from within. In the early part of this decade they began to let key people go, (or key people found other jobs). These key people in higher positions had come from being managers at Lesco stores, and knew the biz, the customers, and the products. Who did Lesco hire to replace them? Marketing 'experts' and executives from companies like Cintas, Home Depot, and British Petroleum; in other words- folks who know how to 'place things where customers can see them', but folks who know little or nothing about how the green industry works.

So Lesco's entry into globalism has become their's through a selling out of their soul to Deere's globalism.
    Deere is the epitome of globalism; every bit as much as Disney and Nike.
    The only thing left of Lesco's, in truth, is just the name.

5. GSMOSS

GSMOSS LawnSite Member

Maybe I should invest in some Scotts stock now before the big Lesco fall down. What experience does JD have with the formulation and chemistry of fertilizer? Hopefully JD will let the Lesco employees run the show the way it has been but we know that will probably not happen.

6. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

You know what will happen just as well as I do!

They'll tell all the employees from 'both' companies that they'll have equal advancement opportunities, but the up-and-coming Deere people will be the first ones to get the pick of the best jobs in the coming years.
    And any problem training Deere people in the same arenas as their Lesco counterparts?
    Heck no. Deere will spare no expense.

"To the victor goes the spoils"
    ...and the Lesco people will largely stay where they are, or go elsewhere.

7. Zooropa93

Zooropa93 LawnSite Senior Member

A lot of the problem with Deere that will become problem with Lesco is that they don't want most of their dealers around anymore. Deere could care less about the smaller dealers who treated their customers right and helped make them who they are today. If you're not a mega dealer and don't want to go Deere exclusive then Deere doesn't want you. They want only 2 dealer principals per state. Buy, be bought, or get out is their motto. It also seems like they don't want many lawn and garden dealers who aren't big ag/construction dealers as well. That's a bad sign cause those type dealers tend to focus only on their highest dollar products and seem to ignore the guys who buy everything else. Plus, with the massive consolidation of Deere (and likely eventually spilling over to the Lesco line of products too), who is going to want to drive 100 miles for parts, service, etc or even fertilizer. Just some food for thought.

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah this all sucks.

Aside from that, I think John Deere is in for a future wakeup call and/or a swift exit from lawn & landscape products... as well as other lower dollar lines.

As we say in North Carolina... "they're getting too big for their britches"
    Hopefully it comes back and bites them in the @ss.

9. mvp services

mvp services LawnSite Member
    from Avon,CT

Our lesco dealer put up the the John Deere Landscapes sign last week. From what I gather they're going to keep the lesco name and recipes on the fert and are going to change all equipment to Deere. If you buy a Lesco mower they will honor the warranty for two years and parts for five until they have time to stock the showrooms with deere equipment.

10. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

While this whole ordeal sucks, I'm hoping it will serve as the catalyst to reintroduce some competition to my area over time. We have almost zero selection here. If Lesco tactics change, perhaps others will fill the void.