Lesco's prices going up. . .way up???

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Pecker, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

:realmad: :angry: I bought several bags of fertilizer there less than 2 weeks ago. Today I go back for more and guess what. . .the same bag went up almost $5 per bag. That means I only get 4 bags per $100 instead of the 5. What a crock! The first thing I said was "is that the price with the contractor's discount?" My rep assured me that prices had gone up on just about everything across the board. He seemed pretty disgruntled about the changes Lesco has been making recently. Anyhow, did I just get screwed somehow or have their prices really gone up? :angry: :blob3:

2. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

This past winter our local service center posted an increase bulletin on the board. I can't remember what the increase % - wise was though.

Cost of materials goes up - so do my prices. It's a must !!

3. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

Lesco sent out several notices to account holders and posted a notice in their newsletter so a price increase should not be a surprise to anyone. Having said that, you got screwed. The increase was said to be 8-13% and should have already been in effect well before 2 weeks ago. A 25% increase is either an error or you are being gouged.

4. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

12% here

In fact Lesco had a poster printed explaing why the increase.

What you may not know is the price you are charged is based on your purchase history. So the more you buy the chepaer it will become.

5. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

See my thread "Lesco"

6. Pecker

I never received a notice. Was it sent through the mail? What bulletin board? Why did the prices go up? :help:

7. Pecker

I think I know what's going on here. After looking at my receipts I see that I was put in the computer as a "retail" customer. The difference. . .$8.90. We'll get this straightened out in the morning! Thanks to all of you for your help.

8. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

I quit using Lesco early last year because of the pricing payup BWI is the hot ticket here. 65Hoss told me about them and I set up an account after talking with a salesman. He was so eager to get the word out and to get new business that he delivered purchases on his way home.

www.bwicompanies.com

9. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

The last purchase was buying a commercial spreader and some fert. I complained about the price, and the salesman called his corporate office and they gave me a discount....go figure.

BWI is the way to go.

10. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Yes, I agree with this too. I was in the Lesco shop today to pick up two bottles of Glyphosphate (Prosecutor Pro). I got two 2-1/2 gallon jugs for $110 each.

Had to go to the Home Depot Landscape Supply store for something else a few hours later. They had their brand of 41% glyphosphate, 2-1/2 gallon, for $89. Now I'm pizzed. Home owners are getting better prices at retail stores than I'm getting at Lesco!!! :angry:

And please don't try tell me there's a difference between Lesco's 41% Gly and the 41% Gly they're selling at the Home Depot Landscape Supply.

Ever notice, they don't post any prices on the shelves of Lesco? What's up with that?

I like the way Home Depot Landscape Supply does things. They post the retail price on the shelf. That's the price the non-contractors pay. Then, on the tag, they have the discounts printed like this: A41B35C17 When a consumer looks at it, they just think it's some sort of a product code or something. But what it means is that if you are on A level discount, you get 41% off the retail price. B gets 35% off and C gets 17% off.

Everytime I go into Lesco, I ask how much something is. Then they go into their computer and only then do they quote a price. I almost feel like I'm at a car dealership, though there is no pressure to buy. The reps are very helpful and courteous. But now I know I've got to start shopping around for better prices as opposed to just blindly trusting the Lesco guys with all my business.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper