Lespedeza!! Help!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Lawncareguy, May 9, 2005.

1. Lawncareguy

Lawncareguy LawnSite Member

New seeding last October and I put down 800 lbs of turf type fescue and starter fertilizer. Used a straw blower and covered , watered, etc and grass sprouted up really nice. Now, after the first two cuts I have common lespedeza all over the place! It must have come from the straw because it came up every where newly seeded/strawed. It is at the early stage with the little yellow flowers now--how do I get rid of it without killing turf?

I will worry later this fall about aerating/over seeding/lime to thicken but I need a sure fix on the lespedeza now without zapping what I have already started.

HelP! :dizzy:

Thanks,
    Bill

2. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

weed b gone from home depot and a hose end sprayer

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly why I do NOT ever use straw unless erosion is a concern. Period

4. NEAL ANDREWS

NEAL ANDREWS LawnSite Member

herbicide crossbow it want hurt the grass ,but will get the clover.

5. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

If you have to pull it by hand, just get it out. Sericea lepedeza can produce a taproot up to 4 feet long. It takes up all available water around the plant and it's allelopathic, producing a toxin that keeps turf grass seed from germinating. It's also a lousy nitrogen fixer even though it's a legume so your grass will yellow with it in the soil. It was classified as a noxious weed but not until it was spread all over the Eastern U.S

6. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

Call tru green and just make them come back and back until it is gone. Remember, they have a gurarentee!

LOL

It can be very hard to kill. We used to use confront with great success, but now, who knows?

EG

7. Lawncareguy

Lawncareguy LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the replies. This thing is going to get messy before its over.

Thanks,

BT