Less common brands of trimmers/blowers - Vandermolen, Maruyama, Dolmar, etc?

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by Triplex, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Fife Lawn&Lane

Fife Lawn&Lane LawnSite Member

Anyone use a Honda trimmer? Whats your opinion of them?

2. osr001

osr001 LawnSite Member

Windmill/Vandermolen with Kawasaki engines. 28cc trimmer that`s 15yrs. old, Hedge trimmer at 10yrs. and backpack 65cc at 8yrs. Never had a problem w/ them, and I do mean never!!. Just DO the maint. A bit pricey, but well worth it! I buy direct. Go to their website.

3. IntegrityGuy

IntegrityGuy LawnSite Senior Member

I have a kawasaki and it runs great. i would not buy another one due to not many dealers. I would love to try one of handas new small 2 cycle engines.

4. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I used to run Maruayama trimmers. They are exceptionally light, and for the most part well built and comfy. They did have one thing I did not like. They all used a Wahlbro carburetor, which was fine except the throttle lever would break off the top, and the only way to replace it was to buy a new carb. (like $98) I ran several of these units and had every one of them do this at 1-2 yrs. Perhaps it has been redesigned. Last I heard, they were offering a 5 yr commercial warranty, so they would probably be worth trying.

5. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

I have some Dolmar concrete cutters and stihl concrete cutters, sthil by far has it all over Dolmar But the Dolmars are nice tools that is why I have some.

6. RonAyersMotorsports

RonAyersMotorsports LawnSite Senior Member

We sell both Honda and STIHL trimmers.

Honda's are very reliable, but there downfall is their weight.

7. Fife Lawn&Lane

Fife Lawn&Lane LawnSite Member

Thank You Ron Ayers.

8. Mike's LawnCare Landscape

Mike's LawnCare Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I have one. I have had it 3 years now !!! Its heavy but its a brute. I don't trim with it any more, Just brush cutting and I got a stihl hedge trimmer head that I use on it.
    Real nice trimmer but a slit heavy for every day mowing.

9. jamesusandy

jamesusandy LawnSite Member

I got a solo brush cutter/string trimmer off of ebay new. I needed to order a part and for a simple bolt that I could not find any where ended up costing me $18+. Their service department was terrible and as I found out it is very hard to find parts. I don't use it as much as my other trimmers so I don't know how well they last. It's pretty much a back up, back up trimmer for me. With the experience I have had with it I would steer clear because of the parts and service problems.

10. Craig3

Craig3 LawnSite Member

I agree. I bought a crappy Craftsman Pro w/ a briggs and it died on my so I replaced it w/ a Honda. I'd used one and liked its power (and the reliability of Honda engines) so thats what I went w/. I checked out Stihl but was less than impressed w/ the dealer. I told him to sell me on it and he had nothing. Honda dealer was great. Also bought the stick edger.