Less common brands of trimmers/blowers - Vandermolen, Maruyama, Dolmar, etc?

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by Triplex, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

Those Hondas are heavy!
    I have a solo 121(?) I think. I like that trimmer a lot, it's just heavy. I ended up getting a husky 323 with a plugged spark arrester for free, and started using that due to its weight. For weekly trimming the husky is just fine, but if anything is overgrown, Ill go to the solo. You can order parts from Russo's online.

2. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

husky makes a step up from what u have with solid shafts

3. green monster

green monster LawnSite Member

My only concern on the lesser known brands is getting the parts. I know a couple guys that seem to like the Dolmar products. It is not as though they won't buy anything else, because they do. But if the dealer quits handling the line, how far are you going to have to go to get parts and/or service?

I use ECHO for my hand held because it has given me the least trouble and they seem to out last everybody else's stuff. Also, it amazes me how my dealer almost always has the parts in stock and how interchangeable the parts are between the different tools. Last, I know there are many other ECHO dealers in my area, so if something were to happen with my dealer, I will be ok.

4. 4b landscape

4b landscape LawnSite Member

maruyama hedge trimmers and string trimmers are great products!! the backpack blower is the same as kawasaki..ok imo!!

5. mowerdude777

mowerdude777 LawnSite Silver Member

Go with the big names

6. mowzilla

mowzilla LawnSite Member

i had a muryama bc260 edger that is the best one i ever used. but can't get parts too old even though my dealer sells them. they are that good. if mury had a dealer net like shinny, i'd run murys in a heartbeat. lasted 17 yrs. i am and have been veeerrrryyyy impressed with shindaiwa not only as a product, but as a company.

7. rudeboy3

rudeboy3 LawnSite Member
    from so cal

the absolute best trimmer/blower/hedge trimmers are two little gem companies from So Cal called TMC and Astron. Biggest presence by far in the LA area and are very reliable, both use kawi engines.

8. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

I always thought they were rather unremarkable spec wise....

9. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

I have some Dolmar wetsaws for hardscape their build quality is good but I use my Stihl TS800's for their superior cutting depth and better engineering. The Dolmars just sit around but they are still dam good wetsaws

10. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

MY everride dealer carries Dolmar and Mauryama. I have a Mauryama hedge trimmer and I love it! Light weight and starts easily. As a matter of fact I had bought a brand new Stihl hedge trimmer and had all sorts of problems out of it. Sold it for half of what I paid for it and bought the Muryama