Less fuel consumption for Kawi 23 HP

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DennisF, Jun 16, 2004.

1. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I've been experimenting on my Hustler Z with a 23 Kawasaki. The engine came with NGK spark plugs installed and after 200 hours I changed them. I installed a set of Autolite plugs and gapped them at .035 (manual says to set them at .030). Since installing the Autolites and increasing the gap a little the fuel consumption has dropped slightly. With the NGK's gapped at .030 fuel consumption was about 1.7 gallons per hour. With the Autolites set at .035 fuel use has dropped to 1.5 gallons per hour. The engine seems to have more zip and it starts easier. It's only been 45 hours since the change but it looks like this little trick will save some fuel.
    I know this a post that only gear heads would be interested in, but with the price of gas being what it is, some of you guys might want to try it out for yourself and see if it works for you.

2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

cannister filter or regular air filter? i don't think i'm getting that good of efficiency out of my 23, but i have 935 hours on it. not sure how many you have. i also don't have the cannister filter.

3. DennisF

from Florida

I have the canister filter. The canister filter will give better fuel economy. The mower has 345 hours so it's still tight. After about 750 hours they start to loosen up a bit and fuel consumption increases. Either way you might try the trick and see if it helps. Good luck.

4. MikeLT1Z28

yeah i just changed the plugs about 30 hours ago, did a full tune up too, valves clearances set as well. she runs pretty tight but i think that old style carb and filter is hindering my $1.80/gal :)

5. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Can I move to Memphis, I pay $2.05 here and that is only if I plan ahead. Most stations are $2.09

6. MikeLT1Z28

well, you won't cut as long during the season here but we have at least one dealer for every piece of equipment you own!

7. flyboy03

flyboy03 LawnSite Member

you might want to take the engine back to the dealer for adjustment....this from a previous post.....

My 23 kawi uses 3/4 of a gallon every clock hour on the meter.

Fuel consumption will change under loads. If you are cutting a lot of high stuff it will cause it to be worse.

8. DennisF

from Florida

Something must be wrong with your hour meter. My Scag walk-behind with 15 Kawasaki uses .85 gallons per hour. Never seen a twin use less than 1 gallon per hour. It's possible your clock is fast.

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Mine uses about 3/4 a gallon per hour also.

10. flyboy03

flyboy03 LawnSite Member

this from the maintenance forum section...this may be an option to get less fuel burn.....

I had the same problem with the 23 hp Kawasaki on my Hustler Z. I was replacing the sparkplugs and cleaning the air filter about three times a week. I went to my dealer and bought a replacement air filter kit. It is a canister type and replaces the small filter that is mounted to the engine. It also came with new, smaller jets for the carb. I have not had a problem since I went to the new filter system. I noticed a big difference with increased power and less fuel comsumption.:rolleyes: :blob3: :blob1: :blob4: