less leaves in CT this year?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by supercuts, Nov 12, 2010.

1. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

i dont know if ive been doing this too long now and my perception is off, but it seems to me like there are significantly less leaves than last year. we didnt have much rain at all over the summer, perhaps the trees went into drought mode and didnt produce as many leaves. we still have alot, but even my pile of leaves were i dump is smaller than expected. anyone else notice less?

its been a great year so far, fair weather, dry leaves, even though we did have an inch of snow monday. 72 cleanups left

2. RodneyK

RodneyK LawnSite Senior Member

We had pretty dry weather here also. Some dropped earlier and some dropped here and there along the way over the last couple months. It lead me to have less to clean up now...

3. Brad Ent

Brad Ent LawnSite Member

72 left.... that is incredible!!! How many can you knock out in a day??

4. sven1277

sven1277 LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't found there to be any less this year than in the past. We started off somewhere between 120-130 for the season. Still have a lot left.

5. bare spot

bare spot LawnSite Bronze Member

seamed that way to, at a few properties.

6. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

I know here with the dry summer that most of our trees dropped alot of theirs over the last few months. I've had it easy compaired to last year with large piles of wet leaves.

7. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

seems about normal for me.

8. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

A couple lawns seemed like there were less leaves but that is because of the drought and a small amount fell in late summer. I have one lawn that all leaves from the neighbors seem to blow on there lawn.

9. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

on some lawns where we take a full load out seems like 1/2 the leaves. but thinking back, last year was very windy and very cold early. the wind could have brought many out of the woods into the lawns. nov was bitter cold and as soon as we finished the first week of december it warmed up.

10. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

Right now, at this very moment, we still have a abundance of leaves still left on most trees. The weather has been off and on cool and warm. In middle November it is usually covered with leaves and wet...........not this season. There is an abundance of pecans, acorns and other seeds on trees--stress related production.
    We have spent countless hours picking up leaves since july from drought conditions as weekly services kept going by intermittent leaf fall. As far as fewer leaves, yes for the time of year since most has fallen since july there are quite a few left after 3 small frosts. Trees are holding on and pulling sugar before the first hard frost for us. As of this--we haven't had a major frost yet.