Less power diesel or more power gas?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eaglescout1993, Sep 27, 2010.

1. eaglescout1993

eaglescout1993 LawnSite Member

I am looking at the Ferris IS2500Z w/ 20hp yanmar Diesel but am second guessing myself. Should i step up and get the 31hp Kawi. gas in the IS3100Z? I want 52in deck and the largest property I will mow is 10acers. To my knowlage, there is not a great price diffrence between the two mower but i need the speed of a z and small size of a 52 because of trees and landscaping.

let me know which one or recomend another.

i need to keep it below 8000 w/o bager.

2. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

This post confuses me quite a bit. There is no 31HP Kawasaki option on a 2000 or 3100 or anywhere in the current Ferris lineup. There is no 52" deck on a 3100. And you will not get a 2500 for 8000 and if you do please let me know where since thats alot less than what my dealer cost is on them.

3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I wouldn't want to mow 10 acres with a 52" deck. You need 2 mowers.

4. RozarLawnCare

RozarLawnCare LawnSite Member

You are stepping down to get a gas. The diesel will have more power (torque) and use alot less fuel.

5. BBOWL

BBOWL LawnSite Member
    from NC

Correct. Diesels make more power on less fuel at lower rpm's. They usually last longer too.

6. eaglescout1993

i may have sizes/power wrong i was in a hurry but the basic thing i want to know is... less power diesel or more power gas for 52in gas... i know 10 acres is a lot wiht 52 but i am not sure ill have the 16k to get 72in 5100... I refuse to get a lone for any equipment so id rather take a little longer and save the extra cash...

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not sure, but is the 20hp Yanmar diesel that 2 cylinder thing? If it is.....pass on it.

The weight penalty on a diesel keeps them much heavier than a comparable gas.

A 20 hp diesel of any kind is no match for the power/torque of a 31 Kawi.

You should step up to a 60" class for more production and better future resale.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. eaglescout1993

\
    ok should i expect a huge price difference between 52 diesel and 60 gas?

also its a straight 3cyl yanmar

9. rcslawncare

rcslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Its well worth going 60", they can do most anything and its better to do it right the first time!!

10. eaglescout1993

ok so
    IS3100z 60" • 37-hp Kawasaki DFI V-Twin engine.
    or
    IS5100z 60" • 33.5-hp Caterpillar™ diesel engine.

Im looking for best value now and good cut, need to stick with ferris because of great dealer support around here. Over all im not to worried about the resale because i will probable run it till it dies then keep it for parts and buy a new one.