1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

less power in my mower lately??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smoothbore2004, Sep 13, 2004.

1. smoothbore2004

smoothbore2004 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Ok guys this is my first post so be gentle. I have a Scag 19/48 tiger cub with a kaw engine I got it about year and a half ago an have about 600 hrs on it. Lately i have noticed the mower bogges down on hills and in thicker grass. Even more with the catcher on but that is to be expected. I asked the local dealer about it and did all the maintence stuff they recommended but still same old thing. ANy suggestions or anyone have similar problems. I have had the hydro fluid changed at the beginnin of this yr so that has been done. Any help will be appreciated.
  2. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Have the dealer check the govenor to be sure its working properly when the engine is put under a load.
  3. smoothbore2004

smoothbore2004 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

i understand what you mean but can the govoner change on its own. Cause early in the season it seemed to be alot better but as time went on it got less power.
  4. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

Maybe check the rpms.
  5. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

I suppose "all the maintenance stuff the dealer recommended" includes fuel and air filters. If you've had dry conditions and a lot of dust in the lawns you service, your air filter could get clogged fairly fast. I had one Kohler powered mower that just seemed to direct dirt right towards the air cleaner, and sometimes I had to shake the dirt off the foam pre-filter several times a week.

Losing power under load could also indicate a clogged fuel filter, and again that could happen fairly fast to a new filter if you happened to get a wad of dirt in a fuel can. And if you changed fuel filters, did you make sure it is pointed the right direction in the fuel line? Most fuel filters have a little arrow on them to indicate correct direction of fuel flow.

Hope you find that the problem is caused by something fairly simple and cheap.
  6. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

BTW, if you should find that the fuel filter is inserted in the fuel line the wrong way, DON'T just turn it around and keep using it. That will just push any trapped particles right out to the carb, and potentially cause worse problems. Get and install a new filter.

As far as governors, those with external linkages CAN change on their own, due to a dirt build-up. I don't know what type of governor your Kawi has, so look to see if there are external parts with dirt caked on them.