Lessen The Ground Pressure on Your V-Ride 36

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PlantscapeSolutions, Oct 5, 2012.

1. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

The larger V-Rides like the 48 come with much bigger 20x10.5 tires. It's only the 36 that comes with anemic 18x7 tires. The GS (20x10) in the 48 & 60 size actually have slightly smaller tires then the V-Ride 48 & 60 (20x10.5).

2. PremierT&L

PremierT&L LawnSite Member

I will anxiously await your report on how the mower performs after making these modifications.

I have the 48" v-ride and love the mower. I would love to pick up a 36 but haven't so far b/c of the tires. I have been holding out in hopes that scag would release a new improved v-ride 36 that was a little more compact, lighter, and had wider tires..

I demoed the exmark 36, but the weight of the deck caused too much scalp on my small yards with humps and hollows. The scag 36 also has anti scalp wheels on the front of the deck where as the exmark does not.

I've been waiting for the perfect 36 stander, but so far it doesn't exist imo.

Please, keep us posted.

3. PlantscapeSolutions

I asked my guys how things were with the wider tires today and if there were any issues. They said everything went just fine.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I thought our Sentar 36" had tires that were about 2 inches wide than the Scag. Compared the two at McCoys and the Sentar is only one inch wider but I swear they look much wider.

5. PlantscapeSolutions

Didn't your company also pick up a V-Ride 36?

6. PremierT&L

Have you had a chance to do any more observation of the 36 with the mods in action? Can you see a difference in marking from the tires?

7. PlantscapeSolutions

I haven't mowed anything myself but my guys have been using it all week with no complaints at all. The width of the mower is still 36" so the mowers ability to trim is still the same. I was afraid the tires were going to stick out and cause us to have to mow further away from border areas but that was not the case at all. You can feel the bigger tires have more grip and better traction.

I'll mow my own lawn this weekend and see how things go for myself. The only place I was able to find the correct tires was smalltires.com. They had the best price and the tires came very quickly.

8. PremierT&L

Thanks for the info. I saw your other post about the changes coming to the 36 from scag. I wonder what changes they will make along with the tires, and when the machine will be available.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We run two Wright RH 36" units and don't have any major problems. We are waiting for a 36"WB hdro with floating deck from Scag. The WB units give better cuts on small yards than the stander.

10. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

is this true of WB's and standers in general or just with scags?