1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lessen The Ground Pressure on Your V-Ride 36

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PlantscapeSolutions, Oct 5, 2012.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I only got 36" standers and they are Wrights. We have scag and snapper WB and they all cut better. And the 21" units cut best of the bunch. In particular the Honda units. We got the first stander because on owner was running a crew and what to make it easier then using WB and that was better. Now when given a choice the present crews leave the stander in the shed as backup. Now this is southern grasses and we mulch everying with outlet closed.
  2. Rvldesign

Rvldesign LawnSite Member

You talked about the different offsets were you able to use your factory rims or did you have to get new ones?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

Factory rims with no spacers. I just had to grind off about half of the big bolt heads behind the tires. The bolts are only for the U-shaped metal that houses all the controls. There is still plenty of metal left on the bolt heads to hold the clamping force. I was really amazed I didn't have to use any spacers. Except for the scorpion trying to sneak attack me in the pictures everything we well with no surprises. The machine is still only 36" wide and the tires do not stick out past the deck. The wider tire fitment could not have been much more perfect.

Anyone with a 36 should implement my mods because if you don't have ruts you will. It took 12-24 months for ruts to become noticeable at many properties.

THIESSENS TLC LawnSite Senior Member

Thats probably the biggest reason I sold my 34" gravely stander, I heard so many horror stories about nasty ruts with those little factory tires. I could've gotten wider tires for it i know, but then it wouldnt fit through any of my gates I have to go through. Hope the tires serve you well!
  5. PlantscapeSolutions

The problem with the 32 WB's is they have super skinny tires and they weight almost as much as the 36 which has tires that are probably 50% wider. Plus you stuck with a belt drive unit.
  6. Bama Lawn

Bama Lawn LawnSite Member

How are the wider tires working on steeper hills? I did the mods and it seems like I'm getting to much sidewall flex. Maybe I'm trying to cut to much of an incline, just needing a little input. Thanks
  7. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic

disappointed.... I thought this was a thread about turning your Vride into a dually!

I tried that years ago with weak behinds to mow embankments.... the turning on turf will seriously make some bad azz divots.
  8. PlantscapeSolutions

I don't have any issues but I also have two Scag SWZU 36 WB's for the hills. WB's will also be way better for hills then a rider or stand on. Taking the weights off the deck helped a ton when you must cross cut a hill but you still can't beat a WB.

Right now I have switched to using only my WB's since the cut is a perfect match and the Vride is my backup mower. I can fit all three in my trailer but it would waste time since the Vride's spot is near the ramp. I bought two Pro Slides for my SWZU's and have been giving that a try. I had used Velkies, Sulkies, and even the Velkie Pro which I probably need to sell.