Lesson learned about dealing with irate people....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GTLC, May 9, 2005.

1. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

This afternoon I headed out to mow an account a few towns over. A trucking company. I am mowing with my Z around the front lawn of the warehouse. Lawn is a little dusty. All of a sudden this man comes over towards me from across the fence (at a boat shop) waving his arms like somebody's hurt. I get off and go to talk to him. He looks pissed off for some reason.

Him-"Can you come back to mow this tomorrow"
    Me-"No sir, I'm afraid I can't b/c I won't have time, I live 30 minutes away"
    Him-"Well you're blowing all this dust over here and I'm trying to paint my boat and you're ruining it."
    he was not an employee at the boat shop.
    Me-"OK, sir, I'll try mowing in the other direction"

So I mowed one direction, shut off the PTO, drove back to the end and started on the next lap until I got farther enough away.

Here he comes again throwing his arms in the air. I do the same, while he is yelling at me about the dust I am yelling back to him "I'm sorry, but there is nothing I can do!!!"

Me-"I can't come back and do this later"

He was really aggravated.

I thought he was gonna jump the fence and attack me.

Thank god one of my buddies from the warehouse came over to cool this guy down and save my butt.
    Me-"I feel your pain, sir"
    Him-"NO YOU DON'T!!!"
    Me-"alright sir, I'll mow the rest with my push mower, it has a mulching plate on it and it shouldn't spit out much dust"

Instead I decided to just come back the next day, with 1 hour of transportation time wasted.

Me-"Sir, I am going to come back tommorrow. Once again I apologize. Have a good evening sir."
    No response from him, no apology, no Thank You, nothing.

End of story.

Well, one thing I learned today is no matter how hard you try, you just can't please everybody. It's hard to decide whether to give up a fight or not, and to just roll over.
  2. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

People are stupid. Had a lady tell me my strign trimmer head is moving to fast today. Ok lady.
  3. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Man, that would have been it for me right there. I would have finished it regardless of the outcome. Did he offer to pay you extra if you come back? The older I get the less patience I have for jerks like this. I actually got mad reading this post and it was not even me it happened to.
  4. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Well, I would have considered doing what you did but two things would have kept me from it, one being the travel distance( fuel prices are just to high to be doing unneeded traveling). But the BIGGEST reason would be when he said, "YOU'LL F!@#$%^ COME BACK TOMORROW B/C I SAID SO!!!". Talk to me in a respectfull manner and I'll respect you. Why would he be painting a boat outside for anyway thats just begging for problems.
  5. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I just read your profile and see you are 17, if he was over 18 let him touch you and have his azz arrested! Sometimes there are advantage to still being a minor.
  6. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

You know, I always try to be the better man in situations like this, but sometimes the temper in me takes over. I think I would have told that guy to kiss my ass. My first question to him would have been "Why in the hell are you painting your boat outside???" I think even most idiots know that you don't paint things like cars and boats outside. Most are painted in a dust free booth. What an idiot....... Serves his dumbass right.
  7. turf9

turf9 LawnSite Member

exactly another classic is the Nambour of a client wants you come another day cause the wife is on graveyards.By the way I show up at this house right as she gets home from work( or I'm done and leaving ) what ever
  8. NJSalesPro

NJSalesPro LawnSite Member

You shoulda went back that night and painted a long strip down the middle of the boat!!!

Just kiddin...........? :blob3:
  9. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

You sound like a nice and fair guy, and you handled it in a very calm manner. I think I would have kept mowing and told him you'd help him put some kind of cover around the boat or something so that you could mow. 30 minutes both ways is a lot of money you could have been earning otherwise. A motto that I have begun to really say in my head a lot this year is, "Don't bend over for anyone!" Especially anyone with an attitude.

10. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Its because of guys like him that I keep a baseball bat in my truck....he'll make do what because he said so?? Try it *****!