Lesson learned

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sgtgm5, Aug 27, 2002.

1. sgtgm5

sgtgm5 LawnSite Member

Welp, had an accident this weekend and my truck is in the shop for a month. I knew i should have bought another truck but due to the harsh summer my funds are limited to where I am not able to buy a truck without a loan.

The point being of this,,, is if you can afford always plan ahead for transportation and be prepaired when equipment breaks down. And,, what dose'nt kill me makes me stronger... I hope

2. drobson

drobson LawnSite Member

that makes me think about my situation. I have one truck and have been thinking about buying another, but business is kind of slow and I'm not sure I want the extra insurance, taxes, etc.. that come with another vehicle on the road. But I'd be in the same bind as you if my truck broke down tomorrow.. I may have to re-think my situation again...

3. sgtgm5

sgtgm5 LawnSite Member

Ohh, let me tell ya. From what im stressing over now I only wished I had another truck because I'm worried about not being there on the days I usually am. I'm a man of my word and only If my customers knew how stressed out I am right now to make them feel happy I would be rich. HEHE

If you have enough funds, please, due your self a favor and find a cheap back up. Im beating myself now for not doing it

4. drobson

drobson LawnSite Member

My main concern has always been having a backup for my plow, so that is what I have been stressing over. I had never really thought about a major breakdown during the other seasons.. Wow, if I had truck problems in the fall it would be devistating.. Now where did I put that Want Ad????????

5. MJStrain

MJStrain LawnSite Member

You know I never once gave a second thought to something breaking down. All of my equipment is brand new...but they could break down. My vehicle is a 90 Chevy Celebrity Wagon. I bought it when my wife made a comment about my shiny new pickup (..well at least your customers will know where you spend all their money...). :rolleyes:
    The wagon has a really cool styling and a custom paint job, slick looking tires, and a few extra horses under the hood (310 hp). Makes for an unassuming ride. And the customers really like it. Slick without screaming big bucks... Anyway I digress, I was talking about backup...think I'll start looking for another old station wagon to fix up.;) Oh goody...another toy...:blob3:

6. Wayne Offiler

Wayne Offiler LawnSite Member

Last couple of times my truck was in the shop I rented a small cube van from U-Haul. I like the one on the Toyota chassis. Only 10' long, but rather wide. I can get my basic equipment in it, and make do quite well for short periods of time. At $ 19.99 per day and .39 per mile, its cheap enough.

7. sgtgm5

sgtgm5 LawnSite Member

wayne,,, thank you, I never even thought of that

8. I bought a plow truck to use as back up past Feb. when I had to put a clutch in mine. Was hoping to sell the plow and buy a dump bed for it. See what happens this fall, maybe somebody willing to gamble on some snow.
    Rental truck was always my backup plan until this year, lot less $ than keeping 2 trucks-not as convenient as having one waiting right there

9. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

nothing like u-haul lawn service

10. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Promo Lawn Services you said it "nothing like u-haul lawn service." Do this will get you by but makes your image look less then desirable.