1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lesson Learned!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LB Landscaping, May 14, 2004.

1. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I should have listened to you hydro guys. Bought a 48" Bobcat walkbehind this spring, trying to save a few bucks I went with a belt drive it was a leftover so I got a great deal on it. I HATE IT!!!!!!!!! The thing has NO reverse, the dealer told me it had "true reverse" and not "reverse assist", wrong, the stupid thing can't even back up the gate to my trailer. If the belts get wet I can't even go forward up the gate.:angry: . my gate is far from steep. I brought it back on Tuesday and explained the problems they said they just needed to adjust the belts, they did and nothing chaged. Then they said maybe it needs new belts, I said WHAT it's only got about 5 hours on it!!!!!:angry: :angry: They want to try it so I left it there. I want a hydro!!!!!!!:cry: :cry:
  2. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

My friend I feel your pain. I was mowing with my belt drive wb yesturday, I got caught at the bottom of a large steep hill in a very heavy rain, and my truck was at the top. I had to push that sum -beotch up the d@mn hill by my self. And reverse - haha good joke, we dont need no stinking reverse! Thats what you get when your young and dont know what to look for when spending your money. Now I know and knowing is half the battle.
  3. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

yea i saw that bob cats website and books say they have "true reverse" I was going to get one because of that, good thing i'm not.
  4. ahfd311

ahfd311 LawnSite Member

I have a used 48" bob-cat walk. I have had no problems with it.
  5. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

You bet hydros are good. Much less phisical workout thru the day.
  6. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

Like barringtonbrothers said " knowing is half the battle". You have to know how to use and adjust the mower yourself while using it. I have a belt drive Exmark Metro HP and have used a hydro stander a few days and I have no complaints about a belt drive after using a hydro.

If you use a belt drive or even a hydro, USE BELT DRESSING on all the belts. It helps the belts stick even when they are wet and helps the belts last longer to.
  7. LB Landscaping

from Maine

A belt drive 36" might be ok but this damn thing is just too heavy. T-Rex, how would i adjust the mower???? I have been through it myself and with two mechanics at the dealer and still haven't got it. I'll try the belt dressing when (& if) I get it back. They gave me a new 25 HP Walker for a loaner though!!!!!!:cool2:
  8. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

If it only has 5 hours on it, your dealer should be willing to work with you on trading it without taking too much of a hit.
  9. LB Landscaping

from Maine

TM thats my next step, I am giving them the benefit of the doubt, they claim they can fix it. I'm pretty sure they don't want it back, it's a left over 2001, they better do something!!!!!
  10. lawnmedic1

lawnmedic1 LawnSite Member

Does it have 1 or 2 idler pulleys?(1 on top and 1 on bottom of drive belt) I have never seen a WB with single idlers have will back up worth a sh**. I have 1 snapper 36" belt that has 2 idlers and it will run over you in reverse.

Still Hydro is worth it's weight in gold...Chuck