Lessons learned from the heat

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Tharrell, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Here are a few lessons I learned from the heat.
    First, I'm not as tough as I thought I was.

I use a Gatorade cooler for my drinking liquids. I fill it with ice and whatever water will fit. I take a second gallon in case I run out, which has happened.

I have a smaller cooler that I put frozen gallons of water to use as ice, then I put water and "bar mops" in to keep cold. Wal-Mart has packs of these "bar mops" (really large hand towels) for 5 bucks.

I take more frequent breaks and take the Gatorade cooler and the bar mop cooler into a shady spot. I squeeze a bar mop until it won't drip and wrap it around my neck. My head and face are cooled off and stopped sweating in 5 minutes. This refreshes me more than anything I've ever tried.

Equipment: Don't fill fuel in any equipment as far as usual because expansion will be greater when it's really hot. I realized this when my trimmer was acting starved and the fuel cap would pop off.
    Also, oil works harder in air cooled machines so change it before it gets really hot and consider an oil conditioner like Lucas.
    I know it's going to get hot like this again and again. I'm already thinking about a light kit that can be quick attached for times when I need to mow in the dark.

Movement: Any movement is taxing when it's extremely hot. Think about your movements. For example, I took the Jungle Wheels off for a yard I like to stripe perfectly. I was doing great until then. I felt like I'd been whipped after that yard.
    Also, keep everything in place and try not to have to keep moving something for no reason on the trailer.

I'm sure you guys have tons of stuff to add and I'm interested in hearing them.

2. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I did similar for refreshments, the other thing i do is mow split days, i mow in the morning until about 12;30 or 1, then i go home to the pool, then after the temp falls below 87 I go back out till dark, 87 is between 5 & 6 pm, dark is between 10 & 10:30, I don't load six days a week so splitting the days just caused me to add a day to pick up the ones I couldn't get on normal mow days. i was able to keep up on everybody this way, had no complaints.

3. Hannah Lawn Service

Hannah Lawn Service LawnSite Member
    from Jax. Fl

I am always using hoses to soak my head and shirt. I think it is important to keep the chest area cool. I also like dunking my head into pools. I never, ever go from extreme heat to ice cold, instead I drink water and find shade to gradually cool down. It was 100 degrees here in FL last week and i thought I couldnt make it!

I like what you said about moving stuff on the trailer. I need to get a blower rack and better organize my tools. Thanks!

4. Hannah Lawn Service

Hannah Lawn Service LawnSite Member
    from Jax. Fl

Yep. Gatorade replaces sodium in your body that is lost from sweating. good stuff

5. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I have vound that drinking a 50/50 mix of Gatorade and water is more benificial than just straight water. Now drinking plain water is not bad, but by mixing in the Gatorade, you are getting a little bit of sugar and some carbohydrates that you are sweating out and burning. I notice a big difference in how I feel throughout the day when I drink the mix.

6. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I buy concentrate electrolyte bottles where you add a few drops to your water.

Cheaper that Gator aid.

7. BigChaz

BigChaz LawnSite Member

Yes i do that also, sometimes even more than half water. Otherwise ill find myself drinking tons of gatorade and less water when they are seperate. With it mixed i save money having 2 or so galoons of water and less gatorade mixed. Buy by the time you drink 2 gallons of mix youve gotten plenty of nutrients from the ade

8. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

and where do you get it, i cant have gatoraid because im diabetic, i have considered salt tablets, for the sodiium replentishment, but too much sugar and carbs in gatoraid for me, this is very interesting.....

ill have to ask the doctor about mixing gatoraid with water, this might help me too....

9. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

A number of posts have been made this year regarding the heat. This is my first year in business. Major rain this spring, and extreme heat this summer. I'm hoping if I make it through the year alive, everything else will be downhill. ...maybe

10. MOOSE

MOOSE LawnSite Senior Member

daveintoledo, I'm diabetic also. I mix water with gatoraid all the time. more water then aid. I have no problems cuz you end up working off the sugar. And blood sugar stays about normal or a touch high. In the range of 80-140.

Try it, just remember to mix more water then the gatoraid.