Let Brad mount a flex-deck on a 32" Viking

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by casey, Nov 6, 2001.

1. casey

casey Guest

Why not let Brad, of Flex-Deck, prepare & mount a flex deck on a 32 Viking & let an LCO demo & review the product. I know he is willing. Why isn't Exmark?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Casey:

Thanks for your post. Exmark is not necessarily unwilling to let the Flex-Deck people create a prototype for the 32" Viking. With any manufacturer, it takes time to make a decision like this, and I think the Flex-Deck people understand this. If we come to a decision to pursue the Flex-Deck option, we will contact Flex-Deck. Until then, our customers must be patient. I understand that this is frustrating, but this is business.

Before I go, I have some questions for all lawnsite.com members. How many of these 32" Viking Hydros would you purchase if we offered a Flex-Deck option? Would you purchase the 32" without a Flex-Deck option? How much would you be willing to pay for the Flex-Deck option (and be realistic here!)?

Thanks for your input.

Dustin
    Exmark Customer Support

3. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with eXmark. It took me a long time to perfect my product and the last thing I need is someone that is in a hurry - or someone that wants to cut corners. I feel this is a good match and also would invite everyone to contribute to the conversation. The only experience I have (as flex-deck) is the one I mounted on the JD 36" belt drive JD at the BBQ, and he loves it. It cut his mowing and trimming time in half, and it contour mowes his yard better. His name is Paul Beckman, Sperry IA. and his phone is 319-985-2527. I know that hydros are faster and gears are cheaper and this will work on both.

4. casey

casey Guest

First I would have to see & hear how the deck works on the 32 Viking before assessing its value. The potential time savings for LCO's servicing gated communities seems enormous. If the unit worked effectively as a 50" mower through the gates cost would not be an issue.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If it was considered for the 36" and 48" also, I think it (a purchase) could be considered.

6. scottt

scottt LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with casey, I would have to see or hear from another lco how well it works. To answer your questions, I would buy one for now as I only have one employee other than myself. But I have plans of growing much larger. I would not buy a 32" without a flex-deck, and if it worked well I would be willing to pay $1000-1500 more.

7. Dochere

Dochere LawnSite Member

I believe that this unit should be able to be mounted on any size deck. For us, the 32" will be the deck of choice. We would be willing to take a few right off the bat, and grow from there. I believe that the 1200-1500 dollar range is a fair price to add to the cost of the mower. Developing the exmark deck for integrated, aftermarket attachment would seem to be the smartest thing to do. I have examined the DC with the flex-deck ready deck and it took me about 1 min to remove and reinstall the deck. This offers great versatility. Even if done with permanent mountings, get them to us and we will put them to the test.

8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Exmark, just want to put in my vote (again) for you to pursue Flex Deck options for your mowers.

But it seems there is alot of talk about them for 32" mowers and for hydros at that.
    I own a 36" Metro and I could definately have a use for a Flex Deck on it.

So I would ask that you don't limit this option to one single model.

As far a what I'd pay for this option, hmmm, it's hard to say. But considering I paid $2,000 for my Metro, I think that Scott's number of $1500 is high. For $2K I got a 36" deck, motor, wheels, controls, transmission, etc, etc. So I can't see paying $1500 for an add on 18" deck only. That's 3/4's of what I paid for a whole complete mower.

I think maybe somewhere around $500 to $700.

9. Flex-Deck

As the inventor of the flex-deck, and having 6 years of testing of our product on very large machines and having mounted them on various width decks, my humble opinion is that it should be mounted on a variety of widths because it will enhance all. The 32" (50" total) would go thru the gates. Lets put it on a 48" or 54" for total widths of 66" and 72" - These would contour mow unlevel terrain and allow these wide decks to mow between bushes 26" apart, between signs and curbs and make many more trimming moves that the regular straight deck would not do. I can forsee a time when an LC) has a 48" + 18" flex-deck for a 66" cut doing the trimming round in the large front areas before the large ZTR's do the angle mowing. Someone has the 32" (drop down the flex deck = 50" and does the fence area - boom we are done! Thanks, Brad
    PS - If you want to know how tough the flex-deck is, I have a person in Sterling Illinois that slammed the flex-deck into a cement bridge piling and it was mounted on a 72" main deck under an 855 utility John Deere (90" total cut) and it slid the front end of the tractor sideways and did not compromise anything as far as the deck was concerned. I will guarantee one thing. On a WB you can take my deck out there and try to bend or break it and you will not be able to do it.

10. Flex-Deck

What is the suggested retail price difference between a 36" metro and a 54" metro - That is what the flex-deck would make the 36" into?