Let down by Mow Deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by the point man, Jun 22, 2002.

1. the point man

the point man LawnSite Member

For those of you considering purchasing MowDeck to keep their
    decks free of grass, you may want to reconsider. After several
    people on this site raved about it, I bought a case, have scraped
    and sprayed my decks several times, and I am very disappointed
    at the results. The grass I've cut has been wet (little dry weather
    around here all spring) and maybe I'm expecting too much. But
    a week after I spray MowDeck under my decks, I have to scrape about twenty pounds of compacted clippings from each deck.
    Not what I had expected.

2. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

I still have most of the cans in the case that I bought last year. I suppose it does do something...if nothing else it makes me think I'm doing good for my mower. I agree that I have not has the "Spotless" results that many others seem to have. I have applied it to 2 brand new decks but really haven't been all that impressed.

Will I use the rest of the case? Yes. Will I buy more? probably not.

One thing I have learned from these forums. Every situation is different, every business is different. I have used a lot of the advice from here very effectively. I have also made mistakes by using some of the advice. Lessons learned, it's all part of the game.

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

The key with Mo deck is to run a hose under the deck when your done using the mower,or run the blades in a puddle for a second after you mow a sopping wet lawn,i still use it,and it works,but when you let the wet grass dry under the deck,nothing will help you.it wil scrape easier,but its going to wedge into corners and stick on you once it hardens up.

4. robert payer

robert payer LawnSite Senior Member

Quite pleased with Mo-deck. Sure when it is really wet we knock off any areas of new build up and spot treat once more. It really helps us get through large wet yards, or at least most of the yard before heavy clumping starts. Mow-deck or not we always check our decks for obstructions in air ways before each house. Mow-Deck is not going to be a miracle but it is worth its price in value.

Tip:
    Clean deck on walkbehinds between each job. Take the drive tires just off the trailer floor and just on to the ramp. Tilt the deck up high in the air. With mower ignition off and in gear or with the emergency break on to avoid mower free wheeling down the ramp. This will allow you the best access under the deck to work from the trailer.

Some procedures are just second nature and can sure be taken for granted. The above procedure may seem unnecessary until you have tried it Mow-deck or not.

5. wxmn6

wxmn6 LawnSite Member

Or could something have changed with Mo Deck that would cause it to not work as well as everyone else is saying? Are they still using the exact same stuff and amount of mixture as last year? Seems to me that most members who uses it last year have a good result and that most members who are using it for the first time this year is not having a good result.

6. robert payer

robert payer LawnSite Senior Member

Mow deck does not list the contents and never has. Smells some what like mineral spirits.

7. cglservice

cglservice LawnSite Member
    from Ky

I have used vegtable oil a few times used a pump up sprayer
    does not hurt the grass at all. Does not stick to deck

8. A1 Lawn@Landscapes

A1 Lawn@Landscapes LawnSite Member

Anyone ever try Pam? I used some today making eggs and it got me thinking. They even make it in flavors now like oriental and garlic with olive oil. The blades would act like a fan blowing the aroma out of the deck. :)

9. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

The thing with vegetable oil is that gnats, flys, ect are attracted to it...at least that was my experience. May be different depending upon ones location and critter population.

10. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

very happy with mo-deck... but here's my situation which i'm sure is different then yours, i run a honda 21 mower and sprayed an entire can of mo-deck on it over about a month... every time i changed my oil i'd clean the deck and spray until everything was dripping wet with mo-deck ... when the can ran out i just let it go and forgot about it... stopped cleaning the deck like i should have been too... well that was about 2 or 3 months ago now and just a couple of days ago i was changing my oil and needed to re-attach a nut that had come loose, so i flipped the mower over and was pleasently surprised to see that the deck was so clean underneath that you could almost eat off it...