Let me help the dealers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Frue, Jan 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

I am so tired of these bunk dealers, You know the ones that when you question the bills for service they look at you how dare you. So I decided to tell all the dealers what I want.

I want you stock parts and not have to order every thing on the mower. If you want to be a platinum dealer than stock pumps!

I want you to listen to what I need instead of trying to sell me a mower that you have in stock and paying interest on.

I want you when I come in to buy a LW blower not to try to talk me out of it because if you become a gold dealer in billy goat they give you a bigger kick back.

If you know that exmark 56 is having troubles and they are blowing pumps please be honest and say you know what I dont feel comfortable putting you in this. But no instead yea they are great best machine we sold alot of them.
    Then after 20 hours pumps blow and it takes 10 days to fix because you dont stock parts.

I know some of you guys are going to think I have a bad attitude and say thats what you get but out of 2 dealers around here its bad. I am not the only guy that thinks this way around here so chime in on what you want to see. :dizzy:

2. Frue

heres another one dont charge me three percent because you have a credit card machine. The purpose for having it is so that you can generate more sells. I was dealing on a new mower last week and the guy said well we have to tack on three percent because thats what they charge me for using a credit card. That is bunk dude you cannot expect me to pay for the luxury. If you cant afford to have the thing in take it out!!!!

3. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

My dealer stopped taking American Express because of their fees, that totally sucked

4. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I would hazard a guess that most dealers could and would be platinum dealers, and stock more parts than they do if they could realize the profits they need on items they sell. I have seen thread after thread about LCO's chizeling their dealers down to almost invoice price, and complaining about the fact they may be making too much money, then turning around and bragging they are worth X dollars per minute, and will not budge no matter what.

I guess I find it rather interesting that list price is ok when selling our services, but wholesale price is all we want to pay to our main support group (Our dealers keep us ticking).

Not saying it is right or wrong, but with my dealer, I tell him what mower I want, then ask him how much he wants. If it is not out of reason, I pay PERIOD. What that gets me is the following.
    1. If I need service, somehow my mower seems to get to the front of the line.
    (Thank God I rarely need service)
    2. If the unthinkable was to happen and a mower was laid up for more than a day, he will loan one on the spot until the problem is fixed. (Never have had to use this benefit either, but it is comforting to know it is there)

All in all, I think we LCO's dig part of the holes that we seem to complain about.

5. Titans Fan

Titans Fan LawnSite Member

Why should the dealer take the 3% hit because you don't pay with cash or a check. I don't blame them one bit. If a customer wanted to pay you with plastic and you lost money, you wouldn't like it either!

6. Frue

Does the pizza place charge you 3 % because you bought there pizza. What if I wanted to use my check card. What about wallmart do they say at the end of your bill ohhh you are using a visa I have to charge you 3% more.

7. Titans Fan

Titans Fan LawnSite Member

I am a cutter and have worked at a dealership for several years. When someone comes in and pays $8000 for a mower and charges it, the dealer losses $240. You do the math!

8. Frue

If he did not have the machine he loses the sale.......... Wants be a pltanium huh?

9. C&K

C&K LawnSite Senior Member
    from East TN

Hey Frue, I agree. At the very least a dealer could go ahead and jack his price up to some happy meduim and don't tell me you're charging me 3% more. Preach on!

10. C&K

C&K LawnSite Senior Member
    from East TN

Further more, you, me, and most everyone else on this forum have made big ticket purchases without a 3% charge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.