"let the boy work"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FinerCutslawnCare, Apr 1, 2006.

1. FinerCutslawnCare

FinerCutslawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

I was putting a flyer up in a gas station and there was some people in there of course, but when i walked out I looked back and someone was going in with a green piece of paper. I go to the gas station the next day and my flyer was taken down and replaced with another lawn care companies flyer(that green one i saw). So is the "competition" really that bad now, taking down a 15 year olds flyer for lawncare that is trying to make alittle money this summer, and putting up your professional flyer...All I am trying to do is make some money this summer! Any opinions on the matter or what i should do???

2. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

Sad but true. Just hang one right next to it.

3. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

go back and tack yours right over top of his.
    I really don't understand why this type crap has to be happening. No offence intended, But the customers I target are probably more than what you are out to get anyway. people who just want the grass cut will call you, people who want their property managed will call me. the "professional" you refer to is most likely a grass cutter like you and he may even be less Knowledgable than you.
    JMO

4. FinerCutslawnCare

No offense taken...I work with a professional but i am wanting to start heading off and get my own, I know how to stripe and do all(not as many as alot of people on here )tricks but, this is actually the low baller guy....

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

What did your flyer say? And if the person is hanging flyers in a gas station and is taking your down he must be desperate, how old was he compared to you?

6. FinerCutslawnCare

The man is around 35-40....sad in my opinion

7. olderthandirt

from here

Yes it sad! But he might have a family to feed and a house that he's about to lose, just something to think about

8. FinerCutslawnCare

yes true, but also taking down a 15 year old flyers, yea.....o well!

9. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

Good point Mac,
    I don't know how bad Ohio is getting hit with job losses but, up here is geting down right ugly, 3 out of 5 houses in the 4 year old subdivision behind my house are forclosed and sitting empty, 1 that is occupied now was forclosed and resold, so of the 5 only one has managed to buy, build and keep his house. all the others lost theirs when they lost their jobs.

10. olderthandirt

from here

Steve, it getting like that here and in a lot of places. I feel bad that a kid gets jerked around but better 1 kid than a whole family. At the end of the day the kid thats out working has a home to go home too, if that man does'nt cut enough lawns it may mean that 2-3 or more kids go hungry that night.