Let's be honest, our sites are ugly!

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by gregglawn, Apr 7, 2013.

1. gregglawn

gregglawn LawnSite Member

I've noticed most sites I've seen related to lawn care and irrigation all look like they were built and designed in 1996. None of them seem to have caught on to web trends and modern design.

I'm not sure why this is. Could be just that the owners of lawn companies are so far removed from technology. Or it could be that people believe consumers are not shopping for lawn companies online.

Either way, I'd love to see some of the best lawn sites out there that you have seen.

Typically I prefer see good copy over good design, but in this case I'd love to see beautifully designed lawn-related websites from you guys. In the meantime I've listed some of my favorites here in Dallas. Show me what you guys find.

http://www.lawnsofdallas.com/

http://experiencelawncare.com/index.html

2. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

While what constitutes "good design" can be entirely subjective, the two examples you list are fine for "form", but only one comes close to passing the "function" aspect, and even then it's only passing. So a better question might be "What sites create the center of a Venn Diagram?".

3. garciajj612

garciajj612 LawnSite Member

4. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Who wrote your copy? And what would you say is your percentage of stock photos vs real ones?

5. tonygreek

6. Ben Bowen

Ben Bowen LawnSite Bronze Member
    from PNW

I have no idea if my site is ugly or not. I do know that it looks fairly modern, but is full of pictures I took myself. I am not a professional photog and I do not stage the photos...

What I DO know is that it has been very effective in bringing us the kind of customer we want. I'm happy with that for now.

www.rossnwatergardens.com

I personally like www.paradiserestored.com and landscapeeast.com.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. greg8872

greg8872 LawnSite Senior Member

8. tonygreek

9. Ben Bowen

Ben Bowen LawnSite Bronze Member
    from PNW

yes, yes i did misspell my own website...

10. Turf Helpers

Turf Helpers LawnSite Member

:laugh: Don't sweat it man! We've all done it at least once. look on the bright side... at least it wasn't on something you sent off to the printer!