"Lets Build A Pull Behind Core Aerator"

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Daner, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey all...I have decided to do another build (Core Aerator)

I will post some pictures as I go along...But for now...I'm In the designing mode...and I could certainly use your help with Ideas and your experience.

Most of my properties are 1 acre plus...so I thinking of making this machine say 60"...and to pull 9 plugs per sq.'. I think I have most of the materials kickin around here In the shop or on the steel rack...I noticed that I have a length of 1-1/4 cold rolled...so thats what I will use for the shaft...and the rest will be constructed from sq tube, angle and what ever else I have on hand.

So starting off with the trickiest part of the build...and thats the tine spoons...Yes...I'm making them too...If you have a close up picture of a open spoon ,please post It here...thats what I need to look at...Or give me a link...Or Ideas on the spoons...any close up pics of tow behinds would help me out a lot In the design.

So feel free to chime In ...and Inputs will be much appreciated

Daner

2. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

Be sure to keep track of your labor hours so you know how much you really have in the machine when you are done. If you work for zero I know alot of guys that will hire you.

3. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I am planning a project along those same lines.

Do you have a piece of 10 or 12" well casing? I would cap each end and have a bung on the end so it can be filled with water, or sand or whatever for ballast.

4. Daner

I need to be able to control the weight...so I want to use water containers on the top...but I think your well casing Idea would work as well.

Bob, I know what your saying about the costs...My labor Is free...and It gives me a chance to blow the dust out of the shop, LOL...plus I like custom building my own tools.

I'm going to use steel pipe for the spoons...And for the soil around here...the easier the plug comes out of the spoon the better...so I think the spoons should be open. I'm not a very good Cad guy...more of a soap stone on the steel work bench kind of guy...So the spoons will be cut with the band saw and the plasma cutter...then finished with the die grinder...then hardened the old fashion way

5. LindblomRJ

Are you going to built some sort of lift for transport and end of rows and things like that?

On edit: The more I think about it with a bung you could fill it with as much or little water as needed. I guess either way would work.

6. Daner

Yes...I think some kind of electric over hydraulic kinda gadget:)

7. LindblomRJ

What are you going to pull this around with?

8. Daner

I was thinking of using the ATV...In low range

9. LindblomRJ

I think if and or when I build mine I intend to pull it is a real garden tractor. When you get going on it post up some pictures. This has my interest.

10. Daner

Starting off with the spoons:) I'm cutting then shaping the spoons...1 or 2 then i will try to pull a plug by hand and see how they work before i make them all:)

D

Aerator_4474.jpg

Aerator_4477.jpg

Aerator_4478.jpg