Let's build a remote

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by FIMCO-MEISTER, Feb 25, 2008.

1. D. S. sent me this and it really caught my attention. I am actually working with an electrical engineer to build a remote myself. My guess is that 90% of the timers out their are 12 zones or less. Their is a market for a universal remote for the dinky pipe guy.

Describe your ideal remote and at what price point would this appeal to you?
    Be reasonable and save the sarcasm for other threads.

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

The ability to fully control and change basic features, like season percents, run times, etc...

Ideal price point.....Free of course. ;) OK, well sarcasm aside, $300-500. :)
  3. 5.0

5.0 LawnSite Member

I'd buy one for $300-$500, especially if you made it look more like a durable, professional tool. The one in the link looks like an 8th grade science experiment, imo.
  4. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

I would be good with a simple on /off zone # , would pay up to $500 if it was durable and would work every time without having to hold as high as possible and hit it 5 times to get it to work.
  5. Dennis Spencer

Dennis Spencer LawnSite Member

Simple with a display would help a 50yr old . 12 zones would take care of most older systems.A lot newer homes are on 3/4 to 1ac. Maybe adapters for 10,15,and 27 zones. I'll go to $500-$800.
  6. No Rush

No Rush LawnSite Member

12 or fewer zones is great. LCD so you can see the zone number. On/Off for each zone and so I can run it long enough to make adjustments. The option to run each zone a set number of minutes. $400-$500. Durable, waterproof, drop check proof
  7. Hard to do with a universal remote. Requires the internal software of every controller out there. A calSense would do that on a CalSense but not on any other timer.
  8. This is my ideal model as well. Hard to waterproof around LCDs but will try that route first. Independent master valve as well. Instant on/off. The connectors are key. Something inexpensive that can easily be mounted outside through the garage wall. Circular type would be ideal but they cost a lot. Pin types are a beating but they are fairly inexpensive. My price target is at or less than the cost of a 521. Seems to be an irrigator's mental price block area.
  9. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

hook up would have to be smaller then that of a standard RCT port. Ive had customers complain that they are too big and ugly.
  10. What Hunter has done is pretty nifty. Put it on a 1/2"sst. Something like that but with 15 wires and plug ins.