Lets compare mow schedules?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by CNYScapes, May 13, 2014.

1. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

I am curious how everyone else schedules their mow days. I am looking to see if there is a better way.

This is how I have been doing it for close to 15 yrs.-

Monday- Mow all commercial properties and a couple residential
    Tuesday- Mow residential
    Wednesday- Mow residential
    Thursday- Mow residential

Friday- No mowing scheduled, so we use it as a overflow day if needed due to weather or if we are done mowing thursday then the lawn guys will do landscape work (with this schedule the lawn crews work very few saturdays)

How do you do it?

2. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

The good customers get cut towards the end of the week and the newer/bad ones get cut towards the beginning.

You can't beat the weather, though. You can't schedule for it.

3. Utah Lawn Care

Utah Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Monday I will work on any big jobs I have like weeding for several hours, pruning a bunch of bushes etc. Tues-Friday are all residential based on the part of town they are in. My Friday lawns are in the nicest part of town and some have requested Fridays. Saturdays I usually have off, but on occasion I work on big jobs I can't fit in on Mondays.

4. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Monday - Mow ("trailer day" - 36" WB cuts)
    Tuesday - rain day/project work
    Wednesday - Mow mania! (whole BUNCHA tiny, city jobs - can be cut rain or shine - all push mower jobs - no trailer)
    Thursday - Mow (Mix of city and small/med lawns best cut with push mower - most can be cut wet - no trailer)
    Friday - Mow ("trailer day" - 36" WB cuts)
    Saturday - rain day/project work/sometimes off day
    Sunday - off day

It works. Mainly the only ones that are a problem if it rains are the 36" WB days (Mon & Fri) and that's why I leave the day after those available as makeup days.
    The beauty of taking the tiny city lawns is that most can be dealt with if wet/raining without too much trouble. I'm happy with a mix of "crap lawns" and nice lawns because I still get paid on the crap lawns when it rains all week - I lose money on the nice lawns if I can't get them cut due to the weather.
    Ultimately though I rarely need to skip anyone - it's been working, so I'm in no hurry to change it.

5. bfleming98

bfleming98 LawnSite Member

Oaknut...

that's a sweet schedule. I like how you built in the rain days.

6. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

I start in North end of town and go south
    I do Com. and Res. together I wont bounce around do them as I go

7. exmarkking

exmarkking LawnSite Bronze Member

Mondays are commercial properties
    Tues-thurs residential
    Friday-installs, cleanups, estimates
    Sat-sun off
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Yeah, it works for me. Pittsburgh is like Seattle - I swear. Always raining.

I think last season I had to schedule a few cuts on Tuesday and may need to do the same this year because I don't want to turn away money. I never schedule mowing for Sat though - the "rain days" are really only for catching up, or doing things like cleanups and hedge trimming. I have time to do a FEW extras (shrubs, etc) here and there while mowing, but most mow days are completely filled with mowing and if I stay to do anything that takes more than a half hour on one or two jobs, my schedule gets screwed up.

9. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

I've tried to mow 4 days and leave Fridays for rain/side work.

However I've grown to a 5 day 40-45 hr/week mowing route. It leaves no time for side work except on Saturdays. I've got a former college kid employee and his brother coming today in hopes if knocking out the bulk of it.

For you 4 day mow guys are you sending crews out? 9-10 hr days? I'm looking at adding a second crew but would only have 1 mow day and the rest side work assuming the crew leader was knowledgeable in pruning and mulch. Then again I would also need the side work to keep coming in.

10. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Monday Tuesday mow.

Wednesday make up or landscaping.

Thursday Friday mow.

Saturday make up or landscaping if were behind.

Mowing routes are based on geography.

Pretty much all mowing days are more than 8 hours, I like this schedule and won't change it.