Lets compare mow schedules?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by CNYScapes, May 13, 2014.

1. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't have time either but I make time
    I only need 3 mowers sharpen and grease daily Only takes 30 mins
    Sundays I'll sharpen/service all 6 But I only haul 3 Monday-Thursday
    So some days I don't have to sharpen I just load 3 that's I already had ready Then Wednesday I sharpen all 6 mowers. Thursday same thing I load the other 3 up.
    Then my part time worker comes in on Friday at 5 am and sharpen/service all 6 for Friday

2. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Yea I don't get the whole my good customer's get mowed later in the week either. That's wasteful and very inefficient. We work from the west end of our territory to the east it's a methodical sweep there is no wasted drive time going back because so and so hates Monday. If he has a problem he can go else where and we will take on a new client in his place. It's no personal we just run a tight rout and can not justify losing money chasing lawns that should of been done earlier. We run 2 solo crews doing 170-175 accounts between us.

Monday starts around 8:30 am goes to 8 pm then some office time so about 9 That's mowing all day.

Tuesday starts around 8:30 am goes to 8 pm then some office time so about 9 That's mowing all day.

Wednesday starts around 8:30 am goes to 8 pm then some office time so about 9 That's mowing all day.

Thursday starts around 8:30 am goes to 8 pm then some office time so about 9 That's mowing all day.

Friday is over flow if nothing went wrong then its Fertilizer we have about 60 fert accounts. It's also pruning and mulch work we have enough to last the entire year.

Saturday is also over flow of mowing if needed. It also is extra work we typically work half days on both Friday and Saturday. So just 8-10 hours.

Sunday is off about 75% of the time but spring and fall clean ups is 7 days a week also if we have a landscaping job that has been difficult to fit in we will work it. Other than that I mow my own yard then and if we couldn't fit maintenance in the week on the equipment then we will do that as will.

3. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

I can barely get people to work of Monday or Tuesday, let alone Saturday and Sunday.

4. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

6am-7pm mon-Saturday
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Just you or do you have employees?

Do you have a wife/girlfriend/kids? Do they remember what you look like?

6. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Haha! He must like money immensely more than I do. :)

7. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Yeah.......I'm all for working hard and making money don't get me wrong. But the older I get I realize time with my family is way more important.

8. McFarland_Lawn_Care

McFarland_Lawn_Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Good stuff. ... I'm slowly learning the same thing.

9. southerntide

southerntide LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Alabama

Same here a pain in the butt but has to be done unless you want to be spending thousand on repairs or new mowers for laziness.

Fresh Blades every morning, clean deck, oil / hydro checks, a good look over at everything, air pressure in tires etc.......

:weightlifter:

10. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

Employees. Wife. 1 child and a dog. No kids / goats, no
    Posted via Mobile Device