Lets Compare

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mow"N"Bud, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Mow"N"Bud

Mow"N"Bud LawnSite Member

I believe I just had a great idea. Let me start off by saying, I'm sure we all love this site, and Turf Magazine etc., but lets face the facts they are all sponsored by the manufactures of our equipment, and there are so many questions as to what is the best mower? So how about it. We all own these mowers so how about we form an independent group of us mower owners, get together all on the same day, with our mowers, and lets put them side by side. Use similar/same class mowers, on the same grass, with the same type blades etc., and have an independent panel grade the quality of cut. Let various operators judge them on ease of operation, toughness, ergonomics, and have real mechanics grade them on ease of maintenance etc.

How does this sound to yall. I'm in Eastern NC, and can get access to a large field owned by a church that is only kept up by it's members and I'm sure would love to get a free mowing.

I'm just thinking we could do it on a Sunday afternoon so it doesn't interfere with work/mowing, and also give those a chance who want to participate.

When it's done we can post the results, and photos. A real test of the equipment.

What do yall think? Anyone want to participate.

I'll use my brand new Great Dane ZTR with 25 HP and 61" Deck.
  2. MSS Mow

MSS Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

I think it's a good idea, but would be a nightmare to organize properly.
  3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not sure what the point of this would be. For some folks one machine works better than others and vice versa. If there was one perfect machine that blew everything away in every category and was a perfect machine for every consumer we wouldn't have 10+ brands of commercial mowing equipment.
  4. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Count me in, I'll bring the Gravely 260Z and a Tank M60. I think it would be a good idea. It would let us see what machine cuts the best on a certain type of grass. Obviously up north would be a different mower b/c of the different grass but it would be a good thing for us southern guys. I'm sure some other eastern NC crews would like to do try it.
  5. MSS Mow

MSS Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

The point is that it would provide unbiased demonstrations/ratings of different mowers. You are absolutely correct that different mowers will work better for different people. This would just help a person decide which one is actually better for them, without having to do their own trial and error, spending thousands of dollars to do so.
  6. LawnSharks

LawnSharks LawnSite Senior Member

I'd make the trip. But, what would the church think of us cutting grass on SUNDAY????????? Welcome to the BibleBelt. It would be interesting to see the results and "tricks" from some of our competitors.
  7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Even with the differences of opinion after reading post on this forum (Lawnsite) for several years you get a lot of info and can develop an opinion on which mower is best for you. But then again nothing will replace a long demo (several days). After reading all the great post about the XR7 I was suprised though that it would cut certain kinds of grass here very well but others it just wouldn't do it. A few miles North where the grass was pure strains it did much better and in the deep south it did great I hear. But I was left with lawns full of straglers. No saying it wasn't a good deck but each deck seems to have an area where it excels. Just like the old Triton did so well in the deep South but not so well in transition area's. Hopefully the new Triton will do much better.
    Anyway from reading over the years I conclude that most major manufacturers are making a pretty good product. Some have great decks but limited engine choices, some are faster, but most use Kohler and Kawasaki and the same pumps and motor company's. There are also niche mowers such as the Walker that have a place in the market. I don't think there is a best mower. Just some excel in certain area's. As far as deck I have heard the least complaints from John Deere followed by the Scag Velocity. The Ultra Cut seem to set the example and put one company on the map (in fact #1 on the map) but it was not a performer in the wet grass area.
    Read all you want and learn all you can but nothing will replace a long and I mean long demo in your worst conditions. It took me two months and lot's of trial and error on my last mower to figure out it just wasn't cutting it. I was lucky to have two different brands and could run them side by side for test purposes. Good luck, don't buy before the grass starts growing this Spring so you can try out that new machine.
  8. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in! Just pm me on when your sending the round trip plane tickets.
  9. Mow"N"Bud

For starters there will be no plane tickets! If you want to come it's on your own dime.

The church is good with it since it isn't mowing per say, but rather some good old boys having fun with mowers.

I'm shooting for a day in mid June, so try and open your calenders.

I forgot to say that I'd also be bringing a new Snapper 15 HP 48" cut, and a 15 HP 36" cut.

There has also been a Husqvarna 15 HP 36" cut thrown in the competition.

This isn't to find the best all around mower, but rather to find the best in class as far as what shows up.

Any others in Eastern NC, we are waiting for you to let the rest of us who are up for this know what your bringing. I hear so much on this site as to how much you love your mowers, and how well they do their job. It is time to put your mower where you mouth is (sorta)
  10. Mow"N"Bud

Another guy down here wants in, and his mower is a Bob Cat 220. He doesn't have Internet, and found out about it from the guy who is bringing the Husqvarna walk-behind. I hope some of you others throw in. Lets make this something with as many mowers as we can have in the evaluation of these mowers.