let's conduct a test

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by bobbygedd, Nov 9, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ok, all the pros say dormant seeding is a good idea. ok, fine. i'll get the topsoil, and seed. i'll take pics of before the site was prepped, and after. i'll post them all, and monitor thier progress by posting new pics as we go. what do the pro's suggest i do to prep the seed bed for this dormant seeding experiment? i also have available, for the test, either mushroom soil, or a good screened topsoil. which do you prefer? i also have on hand- a 3 way rye grass mix. i have a 70% tall fescue/30% rg mix. and i have a fescue/kbg/rye mix. which do you prefer? i have starter fert too. instruct me

2. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I like this idea Bob,
    I sure don't claim to be a pro though.
    I vote sceened top soil, fescue/kbg/rye, how about 2 test plots 1 with the fert and 1 without.
    oh ya, is this test out in the elements all winter?

3. jd boy

jd boy LawnSite Member
    from nw ohio

i don't know who says winter seeding is a good idea. the seed generally rots before it germinates. it needs an ambiant ground temp of around 55-60 degrees to germinate. that won't happen in nw ohio for about 5 months.
    that said, i am always game for alittle research

4. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

My opinion also, I think come spring it will be and will remain a big spot of top soil with very little if any germination.

5. bobbygedd

from NJ

stumper, of corse it's outside. where else would one do DORMANT SEEDING? in the clients living room?

6. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

dormant seeding is not intended to be used to bring in a lawn from scratch as you are proposing. It is also not the correct time to be putting seed down. you are also in a marginal area for dormant seeding, Ideally you need a constant snowcover for the length of the winter. Soil temperatures must also be well below 50* to start.

If you plant to early they will start to germinate, at which point they will be pushed out of the ground by the freeze/thaw and the roots will be exposed killing off the new growth.

7. bobbygedd

from NJ

so then, dormant seeding WILL ONLY WORK on an established lawn?

8. BSDeality

you could use it to bring in a lawn if you so desired.
    I only sell it as another form of overseeding/slitseeding/reseeding/

9. bobbygedd

from NJ

ok then, back to my original question, let's conduct a test....instruct me

10. BSDeality

oooooh, the honor! instructing the great BG...

wait until december. its too warm now.