Lets do somthing about gas prices

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by caz1, Apr 2, 2005.

1. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

This is a good plan. If everyone took on this approach, and presuming that is was a sucess, prices really wouldnt have to be raised (due to the increased cost of fuel that is).

If the core of clients was much more dense, that the fuel hike would have much less of a negative effect, less travel time. Anyone else doing this?
  2. iluvbermuda

iluvbermuda LawnSite Member
    from S/E TN

Not wanting to start a political war, but in my humble opinion our biggest problem regarding gas prices is Mr. Bush.
  3. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

That's too funny. Please stop! My sides hurt! A bird craped on my truck today and I think it was W's problem. You got to stop saying that.
  4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

The stock market goes down as a whole when oil prices go up. BUT Oil company stocks go up. go to yahoo and pull up a graph for BP Amoco.
  5. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Thank you for saying that so I didn't have to. There is little that can be done about the price of fuel (by the consumer).

Unfortunately, the Alaskan pipeline is showing its age and may have to be completely replaced in the next 5-10 years. And that cost will be passed on to us.

You got that right. What does the change in price from $1.75 to $2.25 per gallon really cost the solo guy. Truck 40 gallons per week, Stick tools 5 gallons per week, Mowers 10 gallons per week. So 55 gallons per week ( and I know that is high for most solo ops) at $.50 extra per gallon. So we are talking $27.50 weekly or $110 per month. Or One yard.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

It called a fuel surcharge. Its on every bill sent to shipper. And a store can only say how much they will pay till the trucks will no longer ship and than the stores will have nothing to sell. Supply and demand works both ways.
    Prices increasing is called inflation. It is not a bad thing. It is prosperity. The opposite is depression.
    But than again we are talking with a bunch of LCOs that fight to lower wages all the time.
  7. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

poor bush, everyone will blame him for anything
  8. afftandem

afftandem LawnSite Member

Its goin to take more than a post on lawnsite to organize what you want to do. Besides, if we did what you are suggesting then we'd all be better off, whether gas is 2.30 or $1.25. ......spending more time with our familes, organize our homes, etc..

In a way, we are better off with the high payment.... this will encourage us to look for alternative fuels sources other than overseas oil.. cleaner air and less of the american dollar goin to these countries... if you think we'd have an interest in Iraq if it wasnt for the oil, youre sorely mistaking.. theres plenty of countries with a "saddam hussein".. theyre just not sitting on any resources. (follow the dollar).... so I have a hard time seeing a "support the troops" sticker on a gas guzzelling suv.

Although, for those of us who are in a greater need for gas,(more dependent upon it) i.e. lawnservices, trucking co's, shipping, pizza delivery, etc.. should be given a greater break in a write off, or some other means.
  9. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

you guys with the mindset that we went to war for oil have been sucking on some liberal tit. :dizzy:

the USA imports more oil from Canada, Mexico, and Venezuela that we do from the middle east.

now, if you truly believe Bush is behind this increase in oil prices, lets see your proof.
    junk from the democratic underground is not proof, BTW.
  10. nickslawn

nickslawn LawnSite Member

Did you think about if you don't buy gas then you will the 18-19, we gotta have it or were not in business. thats unless you wanna use a reel mower, but thats not for me.