1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Let's go aerator shopping

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by khutch, May 30, 2004.

1. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

Time to start budgeting for a fall aerator purchase.
    I just don't want to rent anymore, and haven't been thrilled about the Bluebirds, Ryans and Classens I've used.
    Saw an ad in a trade mag (which I have lost) about a "steerable" type machine which seemed like an improvement over the big 3 mentioned above.
    My purchase would be a stand alone machine (not Z mounted)
    Some pro and cons from aerator users?
  2. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

I rented one from Lesco last fall and was very impressed. The drum that the tines are mounted two is split down the middle. Each side had an independent drive control. Very easy to steer and not as rough on the body as some others that Ive tried.

3. GNRL

GNRL LawnSite Member
    from Wi

How about the ride-on from LT RICH?
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The steerable one is from Classen. It's the split-drive that has been out for about two years now. Was the Classen you used an older style without the split drive?
    One thing to consider is what type of properties you are going to do mostly. If most of your props have access (most of mine do) for a larger machine, then I would strongly advise a tow behind. The labor saved puts it into a whole different type of work than walking and muscling the machines around. It's a breeze to make money when you're riding. If you DO ever have call for smaller areas, then you can rent one for a bit (line a few tight area jobs up ahead of time). The tow behind is just much more useful for so many applications, especially wide areas.
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Currently I use Turfco, not bad machine.
  6. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

i use my grasshopper one excellent and it doesnt leave cores all over the place the only down fall is that you have to have the power unit also
  7. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

Darn I was hoping you'd want my Husqvarna!
  8. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

I use a 48" tow behind from Lesco. It can also be used with a 3 pt. hitch. Does a great job. Add weight as necessary depending on turf.
  9. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

does anyone use a Plugger they seem like a good machine
  10. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I have a tractor mounted MillCreek. Its the best you can get for 3pt mounted. But for walkbehinds, I am in the same boat. I know I don't want a bluebird or a classen. I have rented them and not impressed. I have rented a Ryan and turfco am impressed with both. I also plan to demo a plugger. With this hard maryland clay, I am having trouble finding a machine thats good in it.

One of my neighbors and I mean neighbor being a guy on the complete other side of a 75 home neighorhood. He works for chemlawn a divison manager. He stated to me turfco are the best. He just purcased 100 of them for the divison he is in charge of.