Let's have a discussion about mulch/pinestraw installations

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by exmarkking, Apr 28, 2013.

1. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

I don't see how you can pick up, purchase, deliver, and instal for that little. I guess it's fine. I don't know market value where you are.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

I guess you didn't see the part about I didn't add in any delivery fees meaning in that example I always add in for delivery. I don't pick it up I have it delivered. I put down 2 yards an hour no problem. A little over $80 a man hour with no power tools being used. I don't see the problem. The only problem is I'm high for the area.

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/fgs/3714657150.html

3. 205mx

Oh I see. It's a shame others being all the rates down. Why do folks want to work for free?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

27 cf in 1 cy.

9 x 3 cf bags = 1 cy

5. Greg78

You got me. I see the confusion about my previous post I stated "I'm around $65 a yard installed". That's my base price bed prep, shrub trimming, delivery and any edging would be added in on top of the $65 a yard.

6. Greg78

Welcome to post #12. Always good to repeat it though.

7. 205mx

Not you, I mean other people causing guys like you to not be able to get Max value
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Greg78

I hear you. I don't get very many mulch jobs from locals, I do a lot for my customers who live in other states and have second homes down here that I maintain. Most of the nurseries are installing mulch for $1 over what the bag costs :hammerhead:.

9. exmarkking

exmarkking LawnSite Bronze Member

I haven't read all the post, but do you think it's profitable to buy it for 2.85 a bag and install for 6.00 a bag? That's 3.15 per bag to pick it up, deliver it and install it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Greg78

You said earlier your guy did 40 bags in an hour and a half. At $3.15 per bag you were at $126 or $84 an hour. Is that enough to cover your costs and leave any profit? That's the question. Very small sample size. Go back and look through your jobs and break the costs down.