Let's have a discussion about mulch/pinestraw installations

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by exmarkking, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, we only do straw installs on properties we currently service. It's just not profitable to do the straw alone, so we do it when we visit to mow.
  2. HDLLandscaping

HDLLandscaping LawnSite Member

Someone mentioned that it is easier to cut the top off a bag, and spread it around certain areas of the bed instead of dumping the wheel barrow in one place and having to rake it. i use a 10 prong pitch fork for that, quick and easy! Dump and rake the majority of the bed and then when done fill the wheel barrow and grab the pitch fork and find anything that "couldn't" be reached?
  3. locallawncare.ca

locallawncare.ca LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I think bags are good if there is a lot of shrubs/flowers to mulch around, wheelbarrows are big and sometimes you spill it onto other shrubs and such or have to squeeze in, around here only homeowners buy bags usually 4-6 bucks a bag and bulk is about 40-45 a cubic yard. I usually get $160 per yard with some prep work.
  4. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Not every job can have a pick up back up to the bed.

Many customers do not want trucks being driven on their lawn.

Time saved not having to unload your truck into a wheel barrow makes the job faster and easier using a bag.
  5. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

Wow $4.00 per bale?!?! that's cheap.

Who's your sub? West cobb pinestraw?
  6. zackvbra

zackvbra LawnSite Senior Member

I just did a job last month that required 300 bags of mulch. It was about a 3k square foot area and it needed brush removed, weeded, limbs and leaves removed. only took us 7 hours. Quoted $1950. Made a nice bit of pocket change there.
  7. zackvbra

Here in Valdosta, you can get long needle pine straw at southern gardens & landscape for 2.50/ bale. I thought the price of 3.25 at Lowes was outrageous!
  8. JimMarshall

JimMarshall LawnSite Senior Member
    from NW PA

1950 w the mulch? how many guys?
  9. zackvbra

3 including me.
  10. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

It's probably a bit cheaper for you since you're close to where they "harvest" it. Less fuel expense built into the price.

One of my professors in college has a brother who owns a trucking company here in Atlanta and he also supplies the Pine Straw for all of the Wal-Marts in the southeast. He would take his old retired trailers that weren't suitable to haul freight on a daily basis and send them down to south GA and park them in the woods. He would hire another company that would fill the trailers for X amount per trailer and they would call him when it was full. He would run down there with an empty trailer, pick up the full one, then deliver it to whichever Wal-Mart needed it then come pick it up when it was empty.