lets make a deal!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Brianslawn, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

first of all, my name aint monty!

had a guy in a $300k house call up to one of our subsideries asking about the $25 weekly service on a flyer he got. if theyll catch the grass, he said its a deal. they dont, hence the low price, so his info is passed to me. i call him back, say we catch grass, but it $40 weekly which also includes bed and bush maint. (still a good deal). he insisted he had to have the grass pick up and only wanted to spend $25 weekly. i told him we would take $15 off weekly and do full service for $25 on his and all his neighbors for a one year exclusive in that neighborhood. (100 houses weekly). he asked how was he supposed to do that. i almost told him i though that neighborhood was full of cheap @$$es like him and be easy to convince his neighbors. he said hes found the guys that will bend over for him before and he'll find them again. (i almost told him to call lawnworks). then he said he had hoped to give me his business. "yeah i had hoped you wouldve given me your house for $100!" CLICK! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

i'll post a pic this summer, of him pushing the murray while his ol lady is yelling at him out the broken window. :laugh:

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You done good!

I hate it when people try to get me to lower my price to the same point where others clearly couldn't afford to cut it for. If they could have made any money at $25 bagged they'd still be doing it.

3. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i had a guy call me up and wanted me to give him a quote, site unseen... i told him that i don't do it that way, that i had to see it to give him a quote. he then said that it probably would take an hour and asked if i would do it for $25. i told him again that i wouldn't give a quote, site unseen... he then proceeded to tell me that $25 an hour is more then a nurse makes... and all i'm doing is cutting grass. after that i just told him i couldn't help him and hung up on him.... :dizzy: after every expense, that 25 dollars is about 10... i didn't want to take the time to tell this idiot that though

4. jimmbo407

jimmbo407 LawnSite Member

I have had alot of people try and get me to lower my prices this year. One guy told me he could do it himself cheaper, so I have to lower my price. Of course he can do it himself cheaper, he can paint, clean, do home improvements cheaper himself. It is what it is I guess, there is always people that want somthing for nothing. The more I read on this site the more I stick to my guns and my prices.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It's like that every year... 9 out of 10 people are like that, at least that's been my experience.

You did good, let them low-ball someone else out of business.
    What I hate is the ones who talk about they have Chemlawn or some other service like that... And I'm thinking, you (supposedly) have enough money to hire the most expensive chemical treatment service in town, but you don't want to pay me the 100 it would take to cut your 2-acre lot...? That one frustrates me, thou it's just them flaunting their money.

Whether they have chemlawn is another story entirely as they usually ask me if I do fertilizing later down the conversation. At which point I always tell them that since they already have Chemlawn, there is no way I will compete with such a large-scale, professional commercial outfit such as a nationwide corporation, and that they should keep using Chemlawn because they're one of the best and I think their yard would benefit more this way (as it usually would, wonder of wonders).

p.s.: As you can see, low-balling isn't entirely the Lco's fault (but it's not entirely NOT, either).
    I only wish every Lco out there would send every last low-balling customer packing, but it will never happen.

Oh, one last thing: NEVER take a deal when it's them making it because it's your business, so it's not their job to make the deals.

6. old dog 80

old dog 80 LawnSite Member

Gotta totally disagree here.Liquid fert is the absolute worst way to abuse your
    lawn.As to professional...well ask the next applicator how long he has been
    doing that...How do you think a company like that takes over nationally?
    By being higher priced than the competition-NO THEY ARE THE ULTIMATE
    IN LOWBALLING

7. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

thanks guys. i did pick up a 2 acre yard @$200, today. just a block from a little one i do, too.

at least i offered to give the guy what he was wanting. he just didnt want it that bad, i guess.

8. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

Don't almost tell em next time Brian. Tell him & record it. WE need to start a thread with recordings of idiots like this.
    Lady told me the other day,,,,every 2 weeks schedule (most older people still on that schedule. Any way I tell her 2 weeks is the max between cuts and she says, " whoo , every 2 weeks, ,,, that often?????". Same story when I actually did cut & she says again. "Try to space these out some, I can't take too many of these invoices" :) BTW... new fence in back must have cost $2700
    Again I tell her I will be cutting every 2 weeks. If she does not want that to kindly find someone else ,,, no hard feelings.
    I don't see her on my radar for very long.

9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Have him check his wages... my wife's an RN and she's making $30 / hour working part time.

10. JTHutch

JTHutch LawnSite Member

I would tell him that a nurse doesn't have the equipment cost along with the same amount of insurance that we have to pay. They do have to pay some insurance but not as much as I do. My wife is a nurse. Her only expense is her scrubs and maybe a stethoscope. And if we are paying someone for help and there lawn takes half and hour or more we make only about $7/hour after expenses and time.