Lawn Care Forum banner

Let's Make a List....

4K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  NC Greenscaper 
#1 ·
It is often discussed on this site and in the industry in general how frustrating it is to compete with illegitimate businesses - illegal citizens, uninsured, non-tax paying, no worker's comp, etc...

So let's make a collective list of all of the reasons why as a home owner (or anyone looking to hire a lawn & landscape company) should NOT hire someone like this....

The reason this list will be helpful is simple - if you are armed with a well-thought out list of why someone should NEVER hire an unprofessional/illegitimate business you will be able to educate your prospects and make them recognize the pitfalls and liabilities if in fact they do go the "illegal route"....

#5 ·
Great thread!
How about: it's a liability. Uninsured and uneducated people put the homeowner and their property at greater risk.
Posted via Mobile Device
Liability for the homeowner, damage to there property and no insurance. Uninsured guy gets hurt at there house and sues the homeowner. Also the homeowner has to pay taxs out of there hard earned money, I wouldn't want to pay somebody that wasn't paying taxes. Plus these guys aren't in it for the long haul anyway and that's not best for service to the homeowner in the future. But honestly those guys don't bother me personally I haven't seen them effect me yet.

#6 ·
Liability for the homeowner, damage to there property and no insurance. Uninsured guy gets hurt at there house and sues the homeowner. Also the homeowner has to pay taxs out of there hard earned money, I wouldn't want to pay somebody that wasn't paying taxes. Plus these guys aren't in it for the long haul anyway and that's not best for service to the homeowner in the future. But honestly those guys don't bother me personally I haven't seen them effect me yet.
I have homeowners insurance. The truth about business liability insurance is that it protects the business owner and not the homeowner. I have no idea if my lawn guy is insured and I really don't care. I don't know if you are insured for certain unless I am named on the policy.
Posted via Mobile Device

#8 ·
I have homeowners insurance. The truth about business liability insurance is that it protects the business owner and not the homeowner. I have no idea if my lawn guy is insured and I really don't care. I don't know if you are insured for certain unless I am named on the policy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Please tell me this is sarcasm. If that uninsured lawn guy breaks his leg mowing your lawn, or shoots a rock at your neighbors kid who do you think is getting the bill? :hammerhead:

#10 ·
The fact is if you solicit on craigslist, classified ads etc. your going to get a certain type of customer base than if you direct mail $500k homes or bid municipal work. People that don't want to spend money are always going to hire hacks. You have to change your mindset and say no to potential customers. In the beginning you do what you need to but if you've been around 10 years and your still mowing mrs. jones for $20 and then complaining when the neighbor kid took the lawn, you really shouldn't.

#11 ·
Like someone else said they are not in it for the long haul and might not be there next year. Some people don't mined shopping every year for a new lawn guy that doesn't know how to run a business. Those aren't the ones I'm looking for. I want the ones that want it done right and know that you'll be there and pay a fair price.

#12 ·
Please tell me this is sarcasm. If that uninsured lawn guy breaks his leg mowing your lawn, or shoots a rock at your neighbors kid who do you think is getting the bill? :hammerhead:
I am not being sarcastic. I am getting sued when the rock hits the neighbors kid whether my lawn care provider has insurance or not. YOUR insurance protects YOU from loss. MINE protects ME.

I service swimming pools and indeed I do have insurance...to protect me and my family. I also have homeowners insurance in case something happens at home...to protect me and my family.

Back to the original question.

Dependability
Lasting working relationship
Industry knowledge
Protect customers investment (landscapes or swimming pools in my case are not chea
Trustworthy employees

These are a few of the reasons to choose me over a low baller.

#13 ·
There are a lot of reasons but for my company we are a step above the rest and we want customers who want that kind of service and security essentials! For all the Tom, Dick, and Harry's out working this business only to buy beer, smokes, and lottery tickets they can have all of them they want. As for me and my folks we run a business because that is what we like to do.

#14 ·
Ok, guys, so far we are heading in the right direction, but c'mon, this is a list everyone serious about their business (and sick of dealing with riff-raff) could use to significantly increase their closing rate.

Many business owners just don't have the nerve to communicate with prospects and clients and this is where a lot of people fall short in this industry.

I am not criticizing - trust me - I know there are plenty of business owners no matter how hard they try, just aren't very good communicators. But you have to do whatever you can to get over that as fast as you can.

By communicating with prospects and clients, you will find things out - you will be informed about someone else getting the bid, you will be told your prices are too high, you will be told that the prospect has a very limited budget to work with in the first place, etc, etc, etc.

#15 ·
Professionals can be reached on the telephone. They are responsive. They get back to customers. They can be counted on. You can set your clock to when they will be by. When it gets hot, they are still there. When their mower blew a engine they are still there. As others have said, they are insured. The are constantly learning and getting better, educating themselves and training their employees providing the best care consistently because they have system. They can provide a long list of references who are happy with their services so they take the risk out the customers decision.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.