1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Let's Make a List....

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Sean Adams, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

It is often discussed on this site and in the industry in general how frustrating it is to compete with illegitimate businesses - illegal citizens, uninsured, non-tax paying, no worker's comp, etc...

So let's make a collective list of all of the reasons why as a home owner (or anyone looking to hire a lawn & landscape company) should NOT hire someone like this....

The reason this list will be helpful is simple - if you are armed with a well-thought out list of why someone should NEVER hire an unprofessional/illegitimate business you will be able to educate your prospects and make them recognize the pitfalls and liabilities if in fact they do go the "illegal route"....

2. johnsonslawnmanagement

johnsonslawnmanagement LawnSite Senior Member

Great thread!
    How about: it's a liability. Uninsured and uneducated people put the homeowner and their property at greater risk.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

I'm curious to see what people come up with on this list.

4. Blades Lawn Maintenance

Blades Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Baton Rouge, La

This is going to be Interesting

5. 94gt331

94gt331 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male

Liability for the homeowner, damage to there property and no insurance. Uninsured guy gets hurt at there house and sues the homeowner. Also the homeowner has to pay taxs out of there hard earned money, I wouldn't want to pay somebody that wasn't paying taxes. Plus these guys aren't in it for the long haul anyway and that's not best for service to the homeowner in the future. But honestly those guys don't bother me personally I haven't seen them effect me yet.

6. wbw

wbw LawnSite Fanatic

I have homeowners insurance. The truth about business liability insurance is that it protects the business owner and not the homeowner. I have no idea if my lawn guy is insured and I really don't care. I don't know if you are insured for certain unless I am named on the policy.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Unpatriotic! We always cry about the G supporting other countries. It should start from within as well.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Please tell me this is sarcasm. If that uninsured lawn guy breaks his leg mowing your lawn, or shoots a rock at your neighbors kid who do you think is getting the bill? :hammerhead:

9. 94gt331

94gt331 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male

He had to be sarcastic no homeowner on this site would have 3800 posts.

10. Mahoney3223

Mahoney3223 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

The fact is if you solicit on craigslist, classified ads etc. your going to get a certain type of customer base than if you direct mail $500k homes or bid municipal work. People that don't want to spend money are always going to hire hacks. You have to change your mindset and say no to potential customers. In the beginning you do what you need to but if you've been around 10 years and your still mowing mrs. jones for $20 and then complaining when the neighbor kid took the lawn, you really shouldn't.