Lets see some backflow installs

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirty Water, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I'm going to repost a few pics from the Awesome Irrigation thread, to jumpstart a new idea.

Post pictures of your tap and backflow installation, since everyone does different things.

I'm curious to see how other people do DC's, as well as seeing some PVB and RP installs.

Maybe Boots might show off his barometic loop.

Anyways:

Domestic line was 1 1/4" NSF 200 PSI Poly pipe, I use brass insert fittings and a union
    to install a tee, the white wire next to the poly is the 220v line for the well pump.

[​IMG]

Here I used a 1" nipple to bring it up to a decent height ( I don't like Doublechecks 18" down)
    and a Street El, before a 1" Brass FORD ball valve. Best ball valves on the market.

[​IMG]

I don't have a picture of the doublecheck, but I used a close nipple and threaded it right on after the Ford valve.

This is how 95% of my taps are done. We only use brass before the backflow, and when we
    run domestic lines we only run NSF 200 PSI poly.

2. We tap into the service line, this is a pic of a 3/4" copper line. For the connection we use a flared tee. We use a cutoff tool to stop the water flow by pinching the copper shut , then reverse the cutoff tool and open the copper back for water service. Then run k-copper to a meter setter , followed by a single check and then the double check.

tap.jpg

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

What is the purpose of the single check London? We are required to have a shutoff before the backflow by code, but nothing else.

Also, why crimp the water off when you could close the ballvalve on the meter, or is this for installing a 2nd meter?

It must be just regional differences with the use of NSF poly for domestic feed and copper. I never see copper out here. I can count on one hand the number of fittings I've sweated.

Great pic, lets keep them coming :)

I have some pictures somewhere of the 2" meter and doublecheck I installed on the last commercial job I installed, I'll have to find them.

4. The water system requires it on all meters.

This is for a second meter and there is no shut off valve . Crimping is the only way to stop the service.

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Are there no curb stops? Seems to be a flawed arrangement, on the part of the designers of the water systems, if a handle or key can't be turned, to shut the flow.

6. There are curb stops on the house meters plus a cut off on the meter setter itself. No curbstop needed if I set the meter-setter since it has a cutoff. I am teeing into the service line hooked directly on the main. Once I complete the work the water system comes out and inspects the work and then approves it. Once my work is approved then if there is any problem, it is the water systems responsibility...

metersetter.jpg

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

By curb stop, I mean a valve that's separate from all that follows, and usually located within a foot or so of the street. Meters and sprinkler connections could be located anywhere beyond. Curious that there aren't any for you to cut all flow to the supply lines. There wouldn't be any need to pinch the copper closed if there was a curb stop feeding the line.

8. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Our city wont let you touch anything behind the meter. Imagine how many illegal taps there would be out there.

9. zman9119

zman9119 LawnSite Senior Member

I can do better...:dancing:

We cannot touch anything before the backflow. Everything before it has to be installed by a IDPH licensed plumber. We (in the main area we work in) cannot install a separate water meter just for irrigation unless you run a completely new tap off of the main (nicely located in the roadway), then run it into the house for the water meter, then run it back outside for the irrigation system. Kinda stupid if you ask me.

10. I know what a curb stop is. When they install the mains and do the taps for each service they install curb stops. Our curb stops are at the end of the service line. When service is needed they connect the meter at the curb stop in the meter box. I believe they do it this way so no Joe blow can do an illegal tap. It would be kind of hard to stop the flow of water and cut in a tee, unless you know what you are doing....lol