Lets see some backflow installs

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirty Water, Oct 19, 2006.

1. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Guess you don't need the shut-off valves on that install.
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You can't test the PVB check valve without a supply shutoff, but the outlet isolation valve isn't necessary for that testing, given its location requirements. California has a requirement for resilient-seated isolation valves as a part of its alphabet-soup backflow requirements, so you can bet these things are made with the country's largest market in mind. In the other 49 states, however, codes can be written differently. The device, without isolation valves, is still compliant with the ASSE 1020 standard.

Something else is absent from that bit of plumbing. Extra-credit question.
  3. Mjtrole

Mjtrole LawnSite Member

What a strange setup that is, around here that would be frowned upon but passed with the addition of one of those hose bib vacuum breakers on all the outlets before the backflow.
  4. Wet_Boots

I think it will be a long time before the hose-bib drains and blowouts become an issue around these parts, given how any number of homes with AVB's masquerading as PVB's are passing home inspections. Makes it difficult to assert that a home without sprinkler backflow protection is 'technically unsaleable.' (that wasn't the extra-credit item)
  5. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Gonna be a little tough to read the serial number with it against the house. Might need the really skinny mirror.
  6. Wet_Boots

Better than the installs where the testcocks are smack against the house. (not that the serial number makes the thing functional)
  7. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

there are a half dozen PVB's in teh county, mostly installed this year.

the vast majoriyt are doublechekcs installed below ground.

Basically, everything that is installed above ground breaks within the first year due to june or september freezes.
  8. Wet_Boots

DCVAs have not been used hereabouts for more than fifteen years, when the codes changed, and toxic-rated devices became the standard. Luckily for us, the temperatures are more predictable, and in-season freezing is rare.
  9. alwaysgreenirrigation

alwaysgreenirrigation LawnSite Member

In looking at all these backflow picture, I didnt see very many blowouts plumbed in. I guess many of you live in warm climates....so not neccessary. I am just not used to seeing backflows installed like this.:usflag:
  10. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

We blow out through a testcock. Our freeze level is at most 6", so you don't have to drain the backflows. (Buried DCVA).