Let's see your custom/modified implements

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by ccstrebe, Oct 1, 2008.

1. ccstrebe

ccstrebe LawnSite Senior Member

Here is one of mine:

Implement: Bobcat 5 shank scarifier with depth skids.

Problem #1: Not wide enough, 7ft wide machine with 3ft wide rip path.

Fix #1: Replace depth skids with shanks and add 1ft to each end and add 2 more shanks for a total of 7 shanks.

Performance: 10" spacing between shanks creates furrows because of the firmness of the dirt. Two passes are required, this is not acceptable.

Fix #2: Cut 6" of each end, cut new shank holes and fab/weld new mounting tabs between existing holes and tabs. Purchase another scarifier, cut off all the parts not needed, Add 1ft to each end, weld face to face with 4" solid stock between the two. Shank spacing is now on 5" centers. Replace shank bolts with shorten and redrilled hitch pins for quick removal.

Perfomance: Perfect 7ft wide swath of deep ripped soil with one pass.

I have to deep rip the track about every third weekend.

Sorry about the 1/2 ton in the background.

scarifiewr 007.jpg

scarifiewr 008.jpg

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  2. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Holy sh*t! Even pulling mine requires some power in hard soil, your's is a real chore!

I have given the go ahead on a new tilt-tach from Bobcat, so I am getting ready to build a side dump bucket from and older slurry bucket that has seen it's prime, but that's later.
    All I ever did was modify the quick attach to keep dirt from plugging the wedges, this might be of use to you ccstrebe:

Mud flap rubber over the brackets from the wedge pin cylinders:
    [​IMG]

Covers over the wedge pins and they are easily removed for cleaning:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

That's going to be tough going with that many shanks and width. The only good news is that the dirt you're tilling up isn't really that hard compared to hardpan.

4. J. Peterson Grading

J. Peterson Grading LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

This is one of my new snow buckets. I had this one made for my Deere 4520 Compact tractor. Its a 7ft short bottom high back. It will make lifting and stacking alot easier with this machine. Looks funny, but the idea behind it has been well thought out.

IMG_0113.JPG

IMG_0112.JPG

IMG_0111.JPG

5. ConstSvcs

ConstSvcs LawnSite Senior Member

Nice looking bucket....great idea...........much better than the pushers I've seen .

6. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

JPeterson......if that old Chev parked over there in the picture ever comes up for sale......I would like to buy it......

7. J. Peterson Grading

from IA

I sub to my areas biggest lawn service. We do ALL thier repair and misc work. The truck you speak of is just one of thiers. The owner got some sort of a money grant and at one point had an entire fleet of the old trucks like that one. They still use a couple of the old fire trucks as lawn sprayers and water trucks.

another thing, the area were this pic was taken was roughly 7 feet under water 4 months ago.

J.

8. Cooter

Cooter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

What type of accounts do you use this on? What is the weight of that 4720?

9. ConstSvcs

ConstSvcs LawnSite Senior Member

Is that a waterline that I see half way up the side wall on that blue shed in the background ???

10. J. Peterson Grading

from IA

Yes its a waterline. We were hauling sand for sand bags here the day this area flooded. In 45 minutes this area went from no water other than a trickle down a street, to over a foot in the same street. The next day and for the next two weeks it left that water line.

I use the this tractor on smaller commercial accounts, Ranging from fast food places to housing association. It has an 8ft Landpride rear blade and depending on snow it will have either this bucket or an 8ft box. No idea on the weight. But it will spin out before i run out of power. So along with the wheel weights I am going to fill the tires with fluid.

This is just one of my snow rigs. I have 5 trucks, 2 skid loaders, 1 tractor, 3 wheel loaders.

J.