1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lets talk about box trucks

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by PLS-Tx, Oct 28, 2010.

1. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

The gas ones have a Chevy 350 V-8 and the diesel ones have a turbo 4 cylinder or the extended cabs have a turbo straight 6 cylinder. There are dealers all over that get fleet turn in's that still have a lot of life left in them.Find a shop that builds Landscape beds or have a dovetail installed on a box truck(roll up door style) for about $1,600.
    Most are about 8' wide so you can fit a large mower and a smaller one side by side.
  2. threeleafllc

threeleafllc LawnSite Member

its a 16ft box
    We bought the truck used and had the ramp put on
    we fit 2 toro grandstands and a toro ztr
    the rider wont fit with the bagger when the 2 others are in there thats our only down fall i really need an 18ft for our commercial rig thats still running a trailer
    im not sure on mpg i would have to check that trucks fleet card when i get to the office in the morn
    i just drove by the dealership today and they have 2 sitting out there
  3. T-Made

T-Made LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

I bought two trucks from Aaron's Rental. They send their trucks to Commerce, Ga . I bought one with 60k miles and one with 48k -- both are isuzu diesels 14 ft. box and I added a 4 ft. dovetail ramp. I lock it up when we eat lunch and at night. Equipment stays dry and I can fit everything I need in their including ext. ladder and eight footer.
  4. johnclave

johnclave LawnSite Member
    from houston

hi i saw this box truck its 17 foot diesel truck "FORD F350 Chassis " hope this will help you some months back i bought FORD LNT9000 and its good ford is a good brand to choose.:)
  5. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Thanks for all the info, I really starting to think about getting a box truck this winter.

If I do I may sell my Dodge 2500 and 8.5x20 enclosed trailer then buy a cheaper 1/2 ton truck.

I wish I would have bought one when I bought the enclosed trailer about 5 years ago.

I have found two so far, one is an 07 Isuzu cab over with 30k miles, gas with a dovetail, it's $26,900. Not sure what size box, I would need to call.

The other is a 04 GMC 6.0 gas, 110k miles, 16' box with dovetail, it's $11,200.
  6. gasracer

Just a rule to remember buying one of these trucks is mileage expectancy
    Gas motor 150,000
    4 cylinder diesel 300,000
    6 cylinder diesel 400,000 plus
    All the GMC versions are re branded Isuzu's with the same motors.

I know I wouldn't drive one more than 5,000 miles a year a used one would last me a lifetime. I would like to find one with ramps only in the back or the 2ft dovetail to keep the length as short as I could.
  7. gasracer

Here is a local truck I like.

landscape truck2.jpg
  8. Fresh_Cut

Fresh_Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Why both gas? What you got against diesel?

You will get better fuel mileage, better maintenance, and more miles out of a diesel.
  9. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

My Dodge 2500 is diesel, maintenance cost seem to be more.

Not sure what you mean by better maintenance.
  10. gasracer

I have driven the Isuzu diesel trucks and the small 4 cylinder with a turbo needs a few more ponies under the hood when you get them loaded. I think some of them are rated between 175 and 190 hp. The big 6 is 275. The gas models have Chevy V-8, 350 and 400 in them.
    My local shop had one with the 6.0(383) gas motor int it. I test drove it for 30 minutes and was very impressed.