Let's talk about sunglasses

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Paul in Maryland, May 1, 2007.

1. Paul in Maryland

Paul in Maryland LawnSite Member

I'm ready to buy some sunglasses for lawnmowing, driving, and general use. I figure it will take two, maybe three different pairs to cover all the bases.

I'm looking chiefly at the three brands sold here: American Optical, Randolph Engineering, and Serengeti by Corning. I favor glass for its clarity, and the Randolphs in particular look sufficiently shatter resistant.

Which sunglass features are best for cutting grass?

polarized or non-polarized?
    glass or plastic?
    neutral gray or "detail enhancing" brown for quickly seeing sticks and quickly distinguishing cut grass from uncut?
    photochromatic or nonchanging?
    hooked temples (so the glasses don't slip down your nose when you sweat)?
    What else? Do you see sunglasses as an investment or an expense that's good for maybe one season?
  2. CutsForLess

CutsForLess LawnSite Member

I just use plastic safety glasses to mow and weedeat in, as long as they dont break easy I guess any will do.
  3. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I wear glasses so I only had one choice and thats Oakley RX sunglasses. I have had them for 3 years now and its been the best investment I have ever made.

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

IMHO...Oakley plastic and in the lens and frame of your chice of your choice are the way to go ..I believe that they have metal frames also
  5. statman

statman LawnSite Senior Member

Oakley half-jackets - about $125 and you can buy new lenses for $40 when they get scratched.
  6. TPLawnPro

TPLawnPro LawnSite Senior Member

7. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Mine are the A-Wire frames with RX Oakley polorized lens.

8. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I wear prescription glasses, I lose sunglasses like crazy and they get scratched up from work, so I buy the newer "over the glasses" version from walmart. polarized, great side protection from debris and glare, and about 20 bucks with tax. I probably buy a pair every 3 months or so.
  9. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I use Maui Jims and Revos. The MJ's are great for polarization. To me they are the best for everyday work use. The Revos are used when playing golf. Sure they cost some money, but I had lazic surgery done 3 years ago and I want the best UV protection for my eyes.
  10. scchamblee

scchamblee LawnSite Member

Costa Del Mar all the way.... then swap to Stihl safety glasses for trimming and edging.