1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Let's Talk Bad Boy Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Torquer, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Torquer

Torquer LawnSite Member

Thanks for the opinions on the 60" vs 72" question. My new question has to do with opinions on the Bad Boy mowers. I have a very good dealer in my area who sells and services them. They look to be extremely well built and use good componets (ie Hydro-gear pumps and motors) along with the complete line of commercial engines. I'm looking at the Lightning model with the 32 hp B&S Vanguard along with the 60" deck. It has suspension on all four corners, a super seat and an electric lift. Two other machines I've considered are the Ferris and Hustler. Let's hear your opinions. Thanks again!:usflag:
  2. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

BAD BOY all the way.
  3. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Sorry dude....this subject has just been K I L L E D.

Bad Boy mowers rock. I used the MONTANA (the bad boy with green paint) and I loved it. I used it for a few minutes and thats all it took for me.

There is a wealth of info in the above link. If you are thinking of one go ahead and get it, they rock.
  4. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

They are unbelievable machines. I think I know the dealer you are talking about, actually met him at the Michigan green show in Novi. I also befriended the rep that handles MI and PA. I can't say enough good things about both he and the company as a whole. They are top notch all the way and the machines will rival/smoke anything on the market today in both build quality and cut quality. Go check them out for yourself and prepare to be impressed. I'm hoping to upgrade to a Lightning next year.
  5. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I think Bad boy is cool, made in my state, but be honest with yourself. that 32 horse briggs is a thirsty engine.

Run the numbers on fuel consumption for the diesel ( I think they offer a cat) and you'll discover you can actually BUY the mower for what you save in dollars for gas. if gas continues at 3 bucks a gallon, and off road diesel is around 2 bucks right now, AND the smaller cat engine burns less fuel, you could save 10000 bucks or so in 2000 hours.

my bet is the Cat burns about 1/2 to 3/4 gallon per hour, and the briggs is close to 1 and 1/2 to 2 gallons per hour.

further the cat engine will be worth more at trade in time.
  6. rundm

rundm LawnSite Member

I have the 26 horse lc cooled kawi with the 52in deck in the lighting z and that thing rocks. I have only had it since Sept of last year, but in that time it has proven to be a great mower. Solenoid that brings the deck up and down, air seat for a great ride and you can open everything up so that you can get to things easier. Last week I mowed some of my back property which had grown up to about 3 foot tall, it was not that thick but had its patches and the mower went through it like it was 3in grass without a problem or hiccup. I did not get the springs all the way around. They were not offered when I was buying mine. I don't think it matters though because the seat I have keeps me from feeling pretty much anything. Rico
  7. steve's lawn care

steve's lawn care LawnSite Member

Montana, I have not heard anythig about these.

I worked that NOVI show with INTERNATIONAL TRUCKS

and I own 2 Dixies and 2 Lescos... BAD BAY would have cought my eye...

I gused I missed it.
  8. rundm

rundm LawnSite Member

the montana version of them are green but they are the same as the orange ones. Made in the same plant but made for Branson, I think.