Let's talk diesel.

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Chris_NC06, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

2. Chris_NC06

Male, from Sanford, NC

I've been burnt too many times on used vehicles, I don't want to fool with them anymore. I hear you on the depreciation, but I buy trucks for pleasure not as an investment. :)
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Chris_NC06

Male, from Sanford, NC

4. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

5. Chris_NC06

Male, from Sanford, NC

It'd look pretty sick w a set of black 22.5's on it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. kawakx125

kawakx125 LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe ford does, just not in the US. if i remember right i saw a diesel ranger in st. lucia last year on my honeymoon.

just wait till ram does come out with the 1500 diesel. i guarantee that it will blow the doors off of any gas 1500's fuel economy. i get the same fuel economy, or better in a 2500 6.7 cummins with 3.73 gears than i did with a 1500 5.3 silverado with 3.43 gears. towing i get 4-5mpg better than i did with the silverado.

7. GQLL

GQLL LawnSite Senior Member

It really depends on how long you plan on keeping the truck. I have had diesel for the last 2 trucks and my new one will be a gas truck. Paying 10k for a upgraded motor, then having to pay 75 cents more a gallon on fuel. I just don't see the savings in it. Diesel engine have there place if your towing heavy loads all day long every day.

8. jones68

jones68 LawnSite Senior Member

i do believe that the new fords you have to keep exhaust fluid in while the dodges don't. I dont have a new one but my dad bought a new dodge back in october and i can remember him talking about that fluid. but that cummins motor in his new truck is a beast

9. kawakx125

kawakx125 LawnSite Bronze Member

the 07.5 through '12 ram trucks do not use DEF, instead they inject diesel on the exhaust stroke and use that to clean the DPF. starting in 2013 model year trucks, they will use a DEF system. this results in a substantial fuel mileage drop as well as a tendency for the engine to ''make oil''. IF you HAVE to keep the emissions system on, DEF is definitely a better system as it allows for less EGR use, and who wants to run soot back through their motor at all. fine on a gas motor but diesels produce way more soot.

DEF= diesel exhaust fluid
    DPF= diesel particulate filter

10. zackvbra

zackvbra LawnSite Senior Member

get you an old 24 valve cummins! :waving: