Let's talk diesel.

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Chris_NC06, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

I don't think I clarified in my first post that this truck will serve mainly as my daily driver and not as a dedicated work truck.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Chris_NC06

Male, from Sanford, NC

I'll be keeping whatever I get around 4-5 years then trade it on a new one. I've looked real hard and done several nationwide searches on cars.com and autotrader and from what I have found diesel ain't but around $4-$5k more than a gas job with the same options.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I have both engines. I have had all three trucks. Currently all gm. Love the Allison an d max so far.

4. kawakx125

kawakx125 LawnSite Bronze Member

none of these newer diesels are going to last nearly as long as the older pre-emissions motors. EGR kills them slowly, plus all these tree huggin hippies made us go to the ULSD which lacks the lubrication properties of the old fuel.

5. Dually00-00

Dually00-00 LawnSite Member

This is so true they have ruined the diesel engine.

6. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Spot on. Sure the air coming out of these motors is cleaner but I know for a fact that my brothers brand new 6.7 F350 drinks twice the fuel if not more than his old 7.3 F350. 18mpg with the 7.3, 8mpg with 6.7. Not sure how that is economical or good for the environment.

7. kawakx125

i've wondered the same thing. my 6.7 cummins is deleted, and i picked up around 4-5mpg by doing that, and probably tripled the life of my engine. soot is carbon, carbon is abrasive, and i surely don't want my engine breathing that. i liken it running an engine without an air filter.

on the 07.5-12 cummins, instead of DEF, they inject diesel into the cylinder on the exhaust stroke, effectively sending unburnt fuel into the exhaust and through the dpf. this is what cleaned the soot from the dpf. oh yeah, and whatever diesel happened to reach the cylinder liners washed the oil down and diluted your crankcase with diesel. thats gotta be healthy for an engine.

either way you slice it your burning more fuel. i cannot for the life of me figure out how burning more fuel can equate to fewer emissions. :confused:

8. Chris_NC06

Male, from Sanford, NC

That's Obama math. :laugh:
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Deori

Deori LawnSite Member

You do realize that the new emissions requirements on diesels predate Obama?

Posted via Mobile Device

10. kawakx125

thats how they make demand go up and prices skyrocket. diesel SHOULD be cheaper