Lets talk edgers.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WHIPPLE5.7, Apr 6, 2008.

1. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

I edge a good handful of my onetimer springs cleanups and all of my weekly accounts at least 3 or 4 times a summer. I've been using Little wonders with Honda 4 horse. I like the edger other than it seems to wear so much on the slide shaft. I never did like using stick edgers and won't buy one. Has anyone tried Brown manuf. edgers? They are about $1,100 but look super commercial.
    I see so many of you only use stick edgers but I just like the control and stability you get with a wheeled walkbehind.
  2. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

I use a craftsman edger and it works nicely. There is not much that can be improved for edgers IMO.
  3. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Are you edging the beds? or are you edging along the walks and drives?
  4. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

Sidewalks and driveways. And yes there is plenty of room for improvements. Otherwise I guess I'll just keep wearing a $700 machine every other year.
  5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

just use a line trimmer........

that's what I have done for 5 yrs now
  6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

the little wonder dosnt look weel made to me-i have a mclaine/honda engine that serves me well. the powertrim is also an execellent edger. if i was really serious about wbedgers-i would get a tanaka
  7. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Well it's a bit pricey, but have you looked at the Tanaka TLE600? if you don't want to buy new, a member on here has one for sale http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=224421

I don't know what else to suggest unless you just want to stick with the LW's.
  8. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Weve got a Tanaka TLE 550 bought new in 2000. still works great, well worth the money. After we cut back initially a stick edger is much faster to run around the property once a month.
  9. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

tanaka is the way to go but an edger is an edger. the tanaka r shaft driven 2 stokes kinda intresting
  10. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, Tanaka is the best edger for drives and sidewalks. Their a little pricey but well worth it.