Lets talk filters

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn Dog2001, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

I was just wondering what types of oil filters most of you use on your machines.

I have always used Fram oil filters. And I have never really had any problems. But a local Auto store had out an oil filter test display, and surprisingly Fram actually tested the worst out of any of the other filters. The best was STP. So I asked a few people I know that our heavily into cars. And no one seemed to think that Fram was a good filter.

Anyways, so this has got me considering switching filter brands. I may try STP. Has anyone tried any of the generic filters they have been selling? I know both Advance Auto and Wall Mart have their own brand now. They seem to be much cheaper than the brand names.

So what filters do you all use? And can anyone knowledgable out there explain to me what the difference in filtration is between a good and bad filter?
  2. jaguar4000

jaguar4000 LawnSite Member

I go to NAPA for my filters. Very reasonable and never a problem!!

KERRY-EDWARDS!!!!! does not matter if you are a registered elephant or donkey. Vote the son of a BUSH out.
  3. amsoil ...smal engines and truck's ...in a pinch when i aint got a amsoil handy then its mobil one.
  4. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

We have been using Napa filters for a couple years and they seem to do the job...
  5. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

I use Wix.
    Buy 6 (any mix), free shipping and master catalog. Good prices.

Wix seem to be more heavily built. As far as micron filtration, I believe all manufacturers must meet certain standards for different applications.
    That doesn't mean they do, but supposed to.

Napa carries Wix, but I buy online. Cheaper, plus no sales tax for me in Ohio. payup
  6. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I use Purolator Pure 1 filters on the mowers and F-150. The 5.0 gets a Motorcraft FL1-A.
  8. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I use napa gold filters. My napa dealer told me that napa filters are made by wix so a napa filter is really a wix filter with a napa logo. napa part # 1394 fits any kawasaki motor I've ever had. BTW the napa guy also told me that napa oil is made by vavoline (or the same company makes both brands of oil). I think the same thing is true for many off brand items.
  9. cward

cward LawnSite Member

If you have the means, verify that the oil filters have the same micron(s) as the original filter specifies. After that, frequency of changing filters and fluids is the important issue. I use Wix whenever possible.
  10. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Napa near me. I never go in there for some reason. I always end up going to Auto Zone or Advance Auto. I will check them out next time i need filters.

Has anyone else heard bad things about Fram? I always thought that by buying Fram I was buying a top notch filter. But what I have heard recently concerns me. My WBs are aging, and I want to make sure I get the best filtration possible to prolong there life. Im having no problems, but with almost 5 years each on my two biggest machines, I want to do everything I can to keep um healthy. After all they keep food on my plate. :)