Lets talk Fire!

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Barefoot James, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

treegal you will love this thread!

Does anyone have any real experience in torching large lawns in lieu of chemically killing them. This makes organic sense as it would kill weed seeds and Bermuda. Is there a tool that would heat up the soil 3 to 6 inches deep so all biology could be destroyed and then you could start over again with compost tea apps and seeding?? Seems to me this would be a great topic and someone needs to make a tool that could torch it deep - deep - deep.
    The new Fire organic approach!

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

It's called solarizing. :)

3. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

heh...heh... FIRE ! FIRE !

heh.........heh..heh..heh !!!

(Beavis-ism from the 90's....remember?)

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

WHO????

[​IMG]

5. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

I knew of an elderly gentleman in an older neighborhood of Cincinnati, some years ago in the mid 80's, that used to torch his zoysia lawn every other year or so...to keep the thatch in check.

He was one of my customers then when I was a newbie, and worked for a big local LCO.

He would "rejuvenate" little sections of his zoysia lawn in late winter, during very calm days, by spraying the slightest mist of diesal fuel 1st, and then lighting up the lawn !
    His neighbors used to get SOOOO p'off at him :laugh:, but he always seemed to have matters under control with plenty of water all-around, and his yard really didn't "border" any other structure besides his own house and shed. (The SMOKE was the issue!)

And the fire depeartment, apparently, after awhile at least, considered his lawn-burning practises "exempt" from their regular laws.
    (I think that this was really more of a political-posturing thing, though.)

6. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

So - lets talk solarizing with flame. Is their a tool to use that will burn down 3 to 6 inches in wide swaths even 20 inch swaths or larger so you could kill a yards of say 4000 to 8000 sq ft in a few hours? I doubt a hand held torch could do this and I don't want to douse the yard with fuel and have a toxic and smoke issue (or burn down the house).

I know you can solarize by covering with a black plastic tarp but this takes months or even a year to effectively heat it up enough to kill everything (seeds). I know this works as I have installed several synthetic greens and then moved themand the dirt under the panels was very dead. I even dug down and the bermuda turf that used to be their ha no signs of even roots! Solarization is a great alternative if someone had the right tool for the job.

Boiling water?

7. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Maybe you could oxidize it with sodium percarbonate or potassium permangenate (PP) both fairly cheap oxidizers. They cannot get near mucus membranes though, eyes, you get the idea.
    CAUTION, for sure

They nuke anything organic, I use PP in my pond to nuke fish poop at 2PPM at 5 to 6PPM it starts killing fish, not a good idea

PP will turn your hands purple and your clothes too

8. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i dont think it could be done with the means we have at hand unless nasa could lend us a rocket

9. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

I've got to try it though

I'll let you know

HEE HEE PP my yard ( the mad scientist said as he tripped over his hammer and saw) or was that the blind guy

10. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

wait i have ill turn the headers down on the alcohol dragster and burn the snot out of the lawn big blue flames