1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Let's talk logos

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by 1MajorTom, Mar 17, 2007.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I see SO many threads asking, "what do you think of my logo?"
    My question is this, how much thought did you put into your logo?

Step 1
    The first step to building a logo is identifying precisely what you do. What is YOUR USP. Your Unique Selling Proposition?
    Your USP is what sets you apart from the competition. It's what you've got that no one else has. It's the answer to your customers' eternal question: What can you do for me?

You're about to learn a secret far too few business people understand. When you describe your business to other people, you need to focus on the benefits you provide to your customers. Most people, when asked to come up with a list of benefits, come up with a list similar to the ones below:
    None of those is a benefit, however. They're actually features. The difference is that a feature is merely a description -- a fact -- about your service. Let's take a look at how you move from feature to benefit.

Write a sentence that describes who you are and what you do. "I am a trustworthy landscaper who works hard to service your property," for example.
    Ask yourself, as your potential customers will, "So what?"
    Answer that question: " I have been a landscaper for 15 years, and I can maintain your landscape flawlessly."
    Now you're on the way to a benefit. This statement answers the customer question "What can you do for me?" In this case, the benefit you can offer, at its most basic, is: I can maintain your landscape. That's what you want to convey behind your logo.
    Never assume that customers will make the leap from feature to benefit alone. Always tell them exactly what you can do for them.

If anyone is interested in this, i can continue with the next step discussing the various types of logos you can have, and their pros and cons.
  2. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds very Interesting. When I created my logo I wanted it to be unique, something no one else has. Something that isnt the usualy fancy text and tree or grass. I think I accomplished it. I will post up a picture tomorow.

3. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I spent a few hours creating my logo and I made the mistake a few years ago posting my logo on a website and later found out someone else was using the same logo just changed the name and kinda pissed me off so I spent a few hours making another one and haven't put it anywhere online for the reason I don't want it stolen again.
  4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Please do...
  5. mosmgras

mosmgras LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Here's mine. I know, clover is a weed. But... it's actually a shamrock (I love all things Irish). Besides, I've gotten plenty of good comments from customers (most were mine, some were not-but now are!) about the way it looks. It's easily recognizable from a distance, says what I do and most importantly, has attracted new business.

I was stopped at a red light last week when my phone rings. So I answer. Guy says, "Hey man, that symbol looks neat... I'm looking for a lawn service to handle my home and business... have you got any business cards?" I say, "sure do, where are you calling from." He says, "beside you" and laughs. We ended up stopping in a gas station parking lot and talked for a bit. Next day I go out and quote his home and business. I started mowing those on Thursday.

I'm not sure why, but LOGO'S WORK! Well, at least mine does :laugh:

Yard Works (Vista Print).jpg
  6. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

Nothing beats a cease and distist letter, stating that you have the original files with a date that preceeds theirs on their file.

Next thing you know, you own them.

7. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Something tells me you'll be drinking some beer tonight:laugh:

I like the logo. Sharp and unique.
  8. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

if they alter it ten percent then it is a new logo. you would have to prove likelihood of confusion for a cease and desist. If they are in another state you have no case.

To add protection you need to have it trademarked and then they need to ask permission I believe before they could alter it.
  9. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

10. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I checked into it and they were in another state, so you live and learn.