let's talk maintenance

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by JCLawn and more, Aug 30, 2013.

1. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Too keep things simple a 15000$ machine that lasts 5000 hours costs 3$ per hour in replacement/purchase cost.

Problem as I see it I don't think you can do it at 1$ per hour in maintance costs.

In reality its an 8/9/10$ machine which is close to the gas burners most of us run, the pay off is its a whole lot more Productive.

2. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

See my comment above. Haha I figure I would burn $8 a hour (with gas) just in fuel to keep up with this machine. Plus replacement at 2000 or less hrs.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  3. larryinalabama

Im with ya. You missed the part where I said the payout is that the machine is WAY MORE PRODUCTIVE.

Thanks for the heads up on the Kubota I posted for sale.

Im not argueing with you at all. No doubt on a large property the equiptment cost with what your running would be a lot less than mine, not to mention "labor" cost.

4. JCLawn and more

from MI

Ya and honestly in 1100 hrs I have not spent more than $400 in maintenance, but I haven't been taking care of it as I ought. You might be able to find a zd300 series mower at that price. I would buy one with 1000 hrs on it in a heart beat

5. JCLawn and more

from MI

That's oil, filters, blades, deck belt. Its been awesome. I've even plowed snow with the thing hauling it around in the salt. I had 2 parking lots, and around 15 driveways before I got a plow truck. Also off road diesel has been around $3.20 to 3.40 a gal and it never uses over one gal a hour. One of these days I get pic up of how this thing works.

6. larryinalabama

If one of those mowers would fit my business model Id get one, I still search out for a good deal on a used one.

Im a machinery nut similar too you, lack of energy and time helps keep me from buying more stuff