Lets talk trademarks

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by shovelracer, Jan 24, 2008.

1. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

OK so Im looking to trademark to protect my self from another company with the same name, but not the proper credentials. They are not in my area but are in the state. I dont intend to do business out of state. I have researched trademarks some, but havent really got the answers I seek. I would like to protect the name and logo. I gather the name is a servicemark and the logo is a trademark. If I stay in state does the federal TM do anything for me. Also what does the state TM do for me that the federal doesnt. Basically I want to protect what we have and possible force the other guy to change. Lets here what everyone has to say.

2. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

In NJ your business name is protected in county only, my company name is perennial gardens and there are like 3 others in NJ. I'm sure you could trademark your name and logo together, but hell if I know how. I'm sure you could google it and get it done, doubt you will have any luck making the other guy change his name though.

3. Keegan

Keegan LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

call your local SBA office. When I lived in Monmouth CTY. The guy at Brookdale was very helpful. A jerk, but helpful.

4. paydex

paydex LawnSite Member