Lets talk trench compactors...

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by mrusk, Oct 11, 2007.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I started with a wacker 1550 plate compactor. I thought that was great until i got bigger jobs. Then i got a wacker 3050b and i thought that was great. Now i am doing some very large jobs and i want something bigger. I am seriously considering dropping the big $$ for a trench compactor.

I am just curious on how close i can acctually use one next to houses, gunite pools, back of walls, etc?

2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

The answer to all three of your questions is Never, never, and never. You will crack a foundation, crack the pool, and push the wall out. It's not reccommended to use more than a 3-5K for those applications. The only place a trench roller will be of great use would be ......a trench for a wall. If flatwork is your main focus get a single or double drum walk behind vibratory roller. I believe Abrancati uses them. www.gappsi.com

3. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

i have seen them used on the back fill soil of the over dig on a SRW, but not near the wall or drain column.
  4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I would agree with Chris on this one Matt. Unless you are doing some serious wall work or some incredibly large driveways, I wouldn't even consider one. I think a large reversible and a smaller compactor (like your 1550) are all the average installer would need. Whenever we need a larger compactor we will just rent it for the day or two we would need it and be done with it. A trencher is just too large to use in your everyday resi. application.
  5. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I guess i'll just rent as needed.
  6. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

we use our sheeps foot compactor all the time, right up against 2 week old concrete when we backfill garages of new homes, in trenches on top of pipe...everywhere, the only problem is after a full day your thumbs get tired of pushing the toggle switches for direction