Let's Talk Whiteflies

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Green Dreams, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Dang, I hate whiteflies. I saw a brochure on Flagship. Looked promising. What's your drug of choice for them? (Ain't this fun?)

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Green Dreams

White-flies and aphids are both sucking insects and should be treated the same. Orthene and Merit are the weapons of choice for me. Orthene will give a quick knock down and repel them while Merit gets in and gives to long term residual. Both these pesticides have some systemic action. Orthene only soaks in and does not translocate like Merit which is a fully systemic pesticide.

3. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I haven't had much luck with orthene on whiteflies....

4. GregoryR

GregoryR LawnSite Member

I have used Endeavor with success. Its not as pricey as Flagship but if you plan on doing at least 2 apps a week apart then it works well. I back it up with a rotation of spray oil, Esteem, then Endeavor again. There isnt a spray once solution for whitefly (or apply once as in the case of Marathon/Merit).
    The ultimate solution for the client is to rip up the suseptable varieties and plant ones that dont get white fly. I usually tell them, dont buy anything with Lantana in the name. I plan on trying Flagship, I just havent yet. If you do, let us know how it holds up.

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Green Dreams

Oil works But I don't use it beacuse of sunburn. I will admit white -flies are hard to get rid of with out Merit or until Merit hits in.

I use the Orthene Merit mix on most all my shrubs and trees because I get no burn from it. Cygon is an other good one if you can fine some.